Thread: Windows 8 Store

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Store

When I try to open the Store in Windows 8 I get the following message: Something has happened and cannot open Windows Store, please restart, or refresh your computer.
    I have tried all of the fixes listed in Microsoft data base none of them work. So please help. Also Netflix refuses to work either. Their support staff cannot offer me any help on this matter.
    Lloyd0r

Thanks
    Did you try the Windows app troubleshooter? Link is at the bottom of this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-problems-app

Jerry

Thanks
    Did you do a refresh? Charms Bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Refresh your PC without affecting your files.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Did you do a refresh? Charms Bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Refresh your PC without affecting your files.
    Refresh will wipe your Desktop programs though.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fresh-reset-pc

Jerry

Thanks
    In the early days, we used to see this failure fairly often. Quite often these were caused by improper installations. They also has some roots in the Store not really working as expected. These problems seem to have been corrected.

@lloyd04, I guess my questions would be how did you get Win 8? What version of Win 8? Was this an update or an installation on new hardware. If an update where did you get the ISO file?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Do you have a local or a Microsoft account? I have a local account and I can't do much when I'm in the store. My guess is that it is because I have a local account.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought Win8 on the first offering of 39.00. It is Window 8 Professional. I reinstalled it to another partition and it works fine, but on my main os it refuses to work. It opens the store,but when I try to open a group it advises me there has been an error, either reboot or refresh. I have tried both without any joy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Do you have a local or a Microsoft account? I have a local account and I can't do much when I'm in the store. My guess is that it is because I have a local account.
    You need to have a Microsoft account to use the Store but you don't have to log into Windows 8 with it. I log in to Windows 8 locally and have no issues with the Store. If you log in locally, the Store should prompt you for a Microsoft Account log in the first time.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You need to have a Microsoft account to use the Store but you don't have to log into Windows 8 with it. I log in to Windows 8 locally and have no issues with the Store. If you log in locally, the Store should prompt you for a Microsoft Account log in the first time.

Jerry
    Have you observed any cloud-like activity in Windows 8 since logging into the Store with your Microsoft account?

Thanks
    The only "cloud" activity I've seen is when I use the Microsoft game collection. Individual games don't start until I automatically log in to Xbox live which can be a little bit of a pain but tolerable. There's no automatic synching to Skydrive though. I can still manually upload to Skydrive when I feel the need.

Jerry

Thanks
    The $39 offer was for an Update Version. Did you replace a qualifying OS with Win 8? If not perhaps this is also causing some problems. It most likely is related to the local account versus MS account issue previously mentioned, but the Upgrade issue could also be causing problems. Does the System screen (CP, System) show the Win 8 OS as activated?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy