Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 365 through an iPad?

My former boss is retiring and I am trying to help him set up his technical life post-work. He wants no more to do with desktops (or laptops.) He wants to sign up for Office entirely in the cloud and use it through his iPad. Is this feasible? Does anyone know of a colleague or a friend that uses Office in the cloud through an iPad?

Would he have an easier time if he got a Windows tablet?

Thanks in advance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chris.revere For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2013-07-30)

Administrator
    Thanks
    He would have to use the Office Web Apps. There are no Office apps for an iPad right now. There have been rumors of Office apps for the iPad but no official announcement.

If he got a Surface RT he would have Office Home & Student 2013 RT preinstalled. NOTE: This SKU does not contain Outlook. He'd have to use the builtin mail app which is not anywhere near comparable to Outlook. Not sure what would happen with Office 365.

If he got a Surface Pro the Office 365 Pro Plus suite would install quite nicely to the desktop.

On any non-Microsoft Windows tablet the same restrictions apply if it is an RT tablet. The same availability of traditional desktop programs apply for a Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The latest greatest Office365 comes with the online Office software, and it works fine in the Safari browser. You go through the portal, open up the included SkyDrive, and you have access to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and the Excel survey tool.
    We've been using Microsoft Business Professional Online Mail, now Office 365, for 4 years now and are very pleased with it. It was a tad rocky in the beginning, but works nicely now. We use the SharePoint site for all our business continuity and shared calendars and storage for things like our HR guide and employee handbook. It's nice.
    If you're working for a non-profit, it's going to be free or at least really inexpensive per seat.

I just used it to create a survey on my iPad - it works.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by chris.revere View Post
    My former boss is retiring and I am trying to help him set up his technical life post-work. He wants no more to do with desktops (or laptops.) He wants to sign up for Office entirely in the cloud and use it through his iPad. Is this feasible? Does anyone know of a colleague or a friend that uses Office in the cloud through an iPad?

Would he have an easier time if he got a Windows tablet?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bcamero; 2013-05-23 at 11:51.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcamero For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2013-07-30)