4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Configuration Utility - Startup

I ran "msconfig" just to see what was going on when I started up my machine. I am amazed, or maybe I don't know how to interpret what I see. I run the utility, then select Startup. I get a list of 30 checked programs or items, I am not sure what is the correct term. Some of them I recognize, but I don't use them. For example, there are three items for MS Works and one for Money Agent.

What exactly am I seeing? What can I do about these items?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: System Configuration Utility - Startup

Provide a complete list and we may be able to help.

Also list what software that you have installed, even if you do not use it. Some OEM's add all kinds of software that people never use or not even know that they have it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am running Office 97, Bookshelf 1994, Quicken 99, Business Cards 32, and Lotus Organizer. I have a Canon scanner, FB320P with it

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just posted this link to the Win 98 forum, but it also applies here. A good resource to identify and eliminate unnecessary resources:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/index.htm>http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/index.htm</A>

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Your list is huge! Ouch! I have a real sticky problem with twenty billion things loading at startup. You will definitely free more memory by losing some of these things, and quite possibly wind up with a more stable PC as a result. I'm of the school of minimal drain.....why run something I don't need?

The nice about this util is that you can uncheck things, see what happens, and if you find it causes problems, turn it back on again. Here's what I would kill if I were looking at your list (and why). I deleted the things I would leave alone.

Taskbar Display Controls
    Sounds like a quick access utility to change screen settings. Bah. I go the long way if I need to do that. Disable it.
    MoneyAgent
    I would absolutely kill this one, I don't use the reminder and I don't need something to help it start up (like the Winamp agent).
    MSMSGS
    Do you use Microsoft Messenger? If not kill it.
    PCHealth
    Resource hog. Not needed.
    WorksFUD
    Sounds like something to kill, see what happens. Part of MS Works.
    Microsoft Works Portifolio
    See above.
    Microsoft Works Update Detection
    Does works throw enough crap in here? Sheesh. This is obviously a phone-home application that checks for updates. Do it manually and lose this too!
    CreatCD50
    This is the tray icon for CD Creator. I'd run it from the start menu and dump this.
    AdaptecDirectCD
    Same thing as above. I'd run it from the start menu and dump this.
    MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD
    Speed racer
    I don't know what this is but try killing it and see.
    AudioHQ
    Depends on whether you use this or not. It's quick access to your SoundBlaster controls. I prefer the Windows tray icon, it's fine for tweaking the volume....
    CreativeMixer
    Same thing as above. Notice how many programs have two and three little items going on?
    SchedulingAgent
    The Windows task manager. I run things manually. You might not. Try disabling it if you don't have anything that you explicitly set up on a schedule.
    Office Startup
    Gone with the wind! Someone tell me again why you need this?
    Cal Remainder Shortcut
    I'd kill it and see....doesn't seem necessary
    Quicken Startup
    Bah again. Isn't this what icons in the start menu are for?
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the comments. I have eliminated 13 of the 30, so far with no problems. Don't know if it did any good, but I feel better.