Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect at a great price.....

I found this bargain last weekend and got 4 licenses for Macrium Reflect Pro V5 for only $102. (note I am working in Canadian dollars!)

After seeing Retired Geeks post about the deal on Revo Uninstaller, here:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...t-product-IMHO
    of which I took advantage, I thought I should let people know about the Macrium deal.

The regular Macrium page here:
    http://www.macrium.com/personal.aspx
    shows the household 4-pack for $118 USD (already half-price!)

However the coupon code available here:
    http://www.retailmenot.com/view/macrium.com
    can get you another 20% off. The code worked for me on may 12th, and is supposed to be good 'til the end of May 2013.

I highly recommend Macrium Reflect, I've been using the free version up til now.
    I've also tried EaseUs ToDo Backup and Acronis True Image, but Macrium is simpler.

brino

2. The Following User Says Thank You to brino For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2013-05-17)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya it's good to have competition, keeps the prices reasonable and development ongoing. I wonder a bit about the multiple licences though. What fer? If one has more than one PC there should be something like the Professional version perhaps, which should be much more suitable for multiple PCs?
    I bought ToDo Backup Workstation ($29 U.S.) so I would be able to build a WinPE boot disc/USB boot disk and get access to network restoration to dissimilar hardware feature. So for me, one license for all the computers on my home network.

Thanks
    Brino,

Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for a deal on MR Pro. I just snagged the 4 pack using your coupon code. Worked like a charm.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Same question for you RG, unless you're reselling, it's driving me batty!

Thanks
    F.U.N.

Because I have 4 machines two of which are dual boot and I have an excellent history with the Free version. So I think the people who have been providing me free service for quite some time now deserve to be rewarded. I've been looking for a deal on this software for a while (I'm not into throwing money away either) because I want to use the scripting capability to set up plug & play Images, e.g. plug in a USB HD boot from it and forget it. This is not so much for me but for friends and relatives who's machines are nominally my responsibility, yeah I know they are not but that's not the way I feel about. If I can make this work the way I want it to I know I can get more of them to do regularly scheduled Images since it will be almost totally automatic and the steps will always be the same, e.g. Plugin USB HD, Reboot, wait!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks

why I bought multiple copies....

Hi F.U.N.,

First, my decision to BUY was based on Macrium Reflect recently saving me a bunch of discomfort and time. I had a PC that got messed up by a System Restore attempt. Before I tried fixing it I imaged both drive partitions using Macrium free version from a boot CD. My first repair avenue went bad, and I was very glad to have my images so I could start over down a more successful path. Although it's not the first time I have created images, it was the first time I have needed to restore from one. That experience convinced me to chip in to support development. Although, you obviously already know the value of having backup images, and your question was really about why multiple copies.

As for buying multiple licenses:
    -I know both Macrium and ToDo Backup do install with a license, I'm not sure about the legalities of creating a boot CD/DVD/USB on that one licensed machine and using it on multiple PC's. I thought I had read that you needed one license per machine, but I just did a quick check now and don't see where I saw that....
    -I don't want to only be able to create images after booting from CD/DVD/USB Flash Drive. Macrium Reflect allows you to create the full backup image live within windows using the volume shadow copy service. (All images from multiple PC's can even be on one central network drive or NAS). For this each PC needs it's own license.
    -having the image application installed on a PC will make it much easier for other users that are less computer savvy. They don't need to insert the CD/DVD/USB, remember the magic key to change the boot order, etc. They will also be able to create an image while still using the PC for other things. It's more like other applications, and therefore the backup is more likely to actually happen.
    -if your multiple PC's have vastly different hardware, then each one may need different drivers. Building a single boot disk from one machine that includes all the drivers for all the other machines may be very difficult, if not impossible. I suppose you could install the single license on each machine sequentially creating a unique boot disk for each as you go, but likely you would need to contact the vendor to have your single license reset at some point after too many installs in too few days

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    RG: Ya that makes sense when going outside of your own network like that and maybe a requirement for a customized script. It's almost the same situation as if you were a reseller, though you may be more of a gifter.

brino: I assumed, after reading this in the ToDo Workstation literature;

EaseUS Todo Backup provides Recover to dissimilar hardware feature which can help you:

Migrate system to new PC with different configurations.
    Restore an image of Windows operating system to dissimilar hardware (RAID controllers).
    Deploy the same operating system on many computers.
    ;

that I do have permission to recover to any of my systems with the one workstation license which includes that feature. I could use the free version on any of the other systems but I'm not so much interested in a ton of images from a bunch of systems as I am in having the ability to deploy a master image to any computer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    in addition to my previous comments for others just getting into imaging....

1-you still need to _create_ and _test_ a bootable CD/DVD/USB so that your a$$ is covered for that eventual disaster
    2-you should go one step further and actually restore the image immediately after a full back-up

Although I always understood the logic of #2; how do you know the image is good if you don't test it?,
    For me this was a "risk" hurdle... if the image isn't perfect, or your not 100% sure what you're doing you may lose data.
    That _first_ image restore was a bit of a nail-bitter.

However, if you:
    -get comfortable with your tools,
    -backup "regularly" (a schedule that fits how fast your OS and data evolve), and
    -keep (at least) your last image until a newly created one is confirmed good
    then even if your most recent image has problems you can get back to your last backup point