Lounger
    Thanks

Question HP Pavilion num lock

I have an HP Pavilion DV6-6c57nr laptop, which has a numeric keypad on the keyboard. Sometimes I use the keypad for numbers but most of the time I use it for the "functions", end,del, pg dn, etc. My biggest problem is that I don't know which state the keypad is in. Unlike other laptops I've had, there is no indication that the "num lock" is active, i.e. light or something. I an running Windows 7 home on it.

Does anyone know of a utility that would show the keypad status somehow, like in the notification area? It would help me greatly to keep from putting numbers where they shouldn't be or to page down while trying to enter numbers.

Thanks for any help.

Doc

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You could try :
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...ard-Leds.shtml

I have never used this uttility so I don't know how well it works.

Jerry

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

jlprtr (2013-05-23),mrjimphelps (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    I'm guessing that this is not what you are looking for, but it applies to my situation.

If you use an external keyboard, you will see a numlock light, as well as a caps lock light and scroll lock light. You also have keys for those functions on the external keyboard. You can almost always control those functions from the external keyboard. (Occasionally the external keyboard doesn't work for those functions.)

I always use an external keyboard with my laptop, unless I'm out and about. But I'm at my desk with my external keyboard about 95% of the time.

Thanks
    One thing you might do is get in the habit of leaving the keypad in a particular state, such as "functions". In other words, make that your default state. When you power off and back on, it will continue in the state it was in when you turned it off. In other words, it will stay put in the default state unless you change it.

Since there apparently is no indicator light, this may be the next best thing.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe the Accessibility Features of Windows supports this.... check your Control Panel-> Accessibility to see

Or you could try using the on screen keyboard...

Hold Win and tap R

type:
    osk
    hit enter.

Thanks

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

Ben09880 (2013-05-17),The NC Doc (2013-05-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great share, SpywareDr!

Currently using the first link, TrayStatus, as it also shows hard drive activity.

(Tried out all 3 links, the kLED one also has other interesting software I checked out... line numberer utility there is another awesome find!)

Thanks
    You're Welcome, and Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just what I needed! I sometime press a key without knowing it and an indicator will be nice. I'll try all three and make a decision.