Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will I Be Able To First-Time Install Directly From 8.1 Update?

Hi,

I bought the original $30 download way back in October. Never installed it as I just found the whole 'tiles' thing so obnoxious. Apparently, 8.1 will bring back a start menu. Huzzah!

I -assume- this will be a free download for registered users.

So my question is: does anyone know yet if I will be able to install directly from the 8.1 update, or will I need to install 8.0 -first-. My experience with XP was that you could install from any update... you didn't need to installed .0 and then each SP after that.

I wonder because I'll be updating from (gasp!) XP and I'm hoping that I could do an 'update' and preserve at least -some- of my stuff easier than doing a 2 step process.

Any word yet?

TIA,

---JC

Thanks
    I suspect not. You will most likely have to install Win 8 first, then update to 8.1. This is very similar to Win 7 SP1. They just are not calling it an SP with Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Why don't you install Windows 8, and then StartIsBack? In this way, you'll have the Windows 7 style start menu and start button. You may in fact like Windows 8 after doing that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I reckon if you wait long enough you can purchase a full 8.1 install media...

if you wait until support for 8.0 is dropped, the 8.1 disks should be complete installs (not just updates)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    Hi,

I bought the original $30 download way back in October. Never installed it as I just found the whole 'tiles' thing so obnoxious. Apparently, 8.1 will bring back a start menu. Huzzah!
    Not really, it will bring back a start button.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Where Ted suspects not I strongly expect not since Microsoft insists the update/SP will be delivered via the Microsoft Store. So, point of logic, how is one going to get the update from the Store without Win8 installed?

Thanks
    For those of us who are using a third party Start Menu, I suggest creating a full system drive image before going for the 8.1 update. I know I will.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    Hi,

I -assume- this will be a free download for registered users.

So my question is: does anyone know yet if I will be able to install directly from the 8.1 update, or will I need to install 8.0 -first-. My experience with XP was that you could install from any update... you didn't need to installed .0 and then each SP after that.

I wonder because I'll be updating from (gasp!) XP and I'm hoping that I could do an 'update' and preserve at least -some- of my stuff easier than doing a 2 step process.

Any word yet?

TIA,

---JC
    An upgrade copy may not qualify for a free update to Windows 8.1 but I'm not sure of that.
    A pre release of 8.1 is due on June 26, full final version about Christmas.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So my question is: does anyone know yet if I will be able to install directly from the 8.1 update, or will I need to install 8.0 -first-.
    The real answer is No, nobody really knows at this time, but what I have been hearing is that it must be downloaded from The Metro UI "Store" app, and if that's true, then yes you will have to have Windows 8.0 installed in order to download the free upgrade to Windows 8.1.

It may be possible to do a little dance, and do something like installing it from a retail DVD (if you can get your hand on one without actually buying one) and then using the product key from your $30.00 download, but once again, at this time, that's pure speculation.

Any word yet?
    For the most part, No.