New Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Help for Computers

Good afternoon;
    I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post my inquiry or not. I searched the headings but really didn't see anything that popped out at me.

What Im looking for is a utility or program where I can access a friends computer to help them with issues they are having. Yeah I know it sounds like a hack to me however Im serious. I have friends across the country that Email me for help with their computers. I guess that makes me the go to guy in this instance.

I remember several times when I was having problems and called Tech Support and they took over my system, diagnosed the problem fixed it and went away. Id like to be able to do this as well. I mean if I screw up a friends computer in California, I sign off and say, oops. Not really but I think you get the idea.

Is there such a utility, program or whatever that wont cost and arm and leg that little guys like me could obtain? Id surely like to know my options if there is.

Thanks
    This functionality is built into Windows. Your friend will need to enable Remote Assistance on his computer, and then set up a user account for you to use when you connect remotely.

Here's how to set it up in Windows 7:

Under Control Panel, click User Accounts. Here he will add an account for you.

Now right click on Computer and choose Properties. Then click Remote Settings.

Check Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer.
    Click Advanced and check Allow this computer to be controlled remotely. Click OK.

In the bottom part of the screen, click Select Users. He will add your account to the list then click OK.

Back on the previous screen, choose Allow Connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication. Click OK.

Now, I believe you will use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to your friend's computer, and I believe you'll use his actual IP address to locate him, but I'm a little fuzzy about the process from this point forward.

I have heard that there are better, more secure alternatives. But this is available right now in Windows, and it's free.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-05-17 at 17:17.

Thanks
    Try Teamviewer. www.teamviewer.com

Windows Remote Assistance can be finicky and may require port forwarding to be set up if the remote PC is attached to a router. TeamViewer just works, router or not.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, I use UltraVNC. Their website has a 'one click deployment tool'.

it is free... as in free beer.
    it is secure... at least enough for my use.

you need a static IP address, or a redirect service (there are free ones out there)

noipdns is who I used last... I'll see if I can find a link it you need it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, and the UltraVNC software tunnels through networks and routers and opens the port auto-magically for you.

BUT your machine MUST be powered up and waiting for him to 'ping' when he runs the app.

The application can be configured to auto-delete itself after use. It is very handy with elderly clients.

Thanks
    Probably one of the easiest ways is join.me (part of logmein.com).

1. Have your friend go to http://join.me and click on "start meeting". In a minute or two they'll see a 9-digit number at the top center of their screen that they'll need to read to you.

2. You're already at http://join.me waiting for them to read you that number. As they do, simply type it into the little "join meeting" box and click the green arrowhead ("go") button.

That's all there is to it. You should now be viewing your friend's computer screen in your browser.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I second the vote for Teamviewer. It's as simple and effective as any remote software I've used.

Thanks
    I use Team Viewer all the time and it certainly suits my needs and it's FREE for personal use.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"