3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need these MS updates?

I used to have MS Office 10, but uninstalled it because it was just too big, too slow to wind up. I could write a letter and have it printed with Word 97 in less time than it takes Office 10 to wind up. However, I am still being offered Office security updates, a whole slew of them this week. Why does Windows update offer them? Are there some traces of Office left behind? Do I need to install them? Or can I safely ignore everything pertaining to Office?

Thanks,

David

Thanks
    If, for example, you have the Office conversion pack to enable use of *.docx etc., then yes, you would need to continue updating with all those Office patches being offered.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. How would I know if the Office conversion pack is still installed? No programs with Office in the name appear in Control Panel Add/Remove programs.

Thanks
    In that case, it looks like there's a bug somewhere, "Office 20xx compatibility pack" should be part of the name that would show up in (Add/Remove) Programs.

Assuming Office 10 = 2010, have you tried this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

The Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe) referred to on that page is still available from reputable download sites like Majorgeeks, if you want to 'risk' it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Further to my last...

I still have Word 97 which I intend to keep for word processing, and the .doc extension is, and always has been, associated with it. However, after I installed Office 2010 (Word 14) double-clicking on a .doc file brought Office lumbering to life which was a pain. I tried several suggestions to make .doc files open in Word 97, but none of them could keep Office out of the way. Having removed Office 2010 I expected to find that the association would work as it's supposed to. But to my surprise I find when I double-click a .doc file Office still tries to start. Of course it can't, and I get a whole cascade of Windows error messages.

So somewhere in Win 7 there had to be a reference to this pesky Office. I ran jv16, it found hundreds of registry entries pertaining to Office 2010. Did a clean-up and then ran CCleaner. Did that fix it? Nope, Office still tries to start, and fails.

At this juncture I decided to try Satrow's suggestion. Since I'd already un-installed at least partially, I tried to work through the manual uninstall. I was impressed by the very clear video instructions, unfortunatel that didn't get me very far. The first step was to "Show hidden files". I've always had that selected since Win 3.0 "Click on the Start button and type Installer to open the Installer folder." That didn't work, there is no such folder. I did a search for any folder with Installer in the name, don't have one. Still never mind, on to the next step. "Open %CommonProgramFiles\Microsoft Shared folder" Did a search for any such folder, don't have one of those either! At that point I gave up.

After that I did a registry search for "Office 2010" and "Word14". Found another 131 entries. I wonder why jv16 didn't flag those ones? I suppose I could export the registry and then delete them all and see what happens, or doesn't happen. Any other suggestions short of a clean install of Win 7???

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If only... If only I'd known how difficult it is to dig out Office root and branch I'd never have touched this cr*pware. It can't be an accident. I've persisted with the 'how-to' video, eventually found some of the folders, but none where the video indicates that they can be found, and I did a bog-standard installation in Win 7 Ultimate, no customization at all. It came down to repeatedly searching for files starting from C:\. Then came the registry entries, and that's where the video became unusable. After being told to Delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Microsoft\Office\14.0 subkey it goes on: "Find and delete each subkey in the list below." Below what? It's impossible to make out the keys in the video so that's as far as I could go. And meanwhile Office 2010 still tries to fire up!

A clean install doesn't seem quite so absurd.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-05-18 at 21:14. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Try setting the file associations for the .doc type here: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately the Default is shown as Word for Windows 97 for both .doc and .dot.

Thanks
    If you make a backup and/or create a System Restore point, it might be worth trying to remove it with the Windows Installer Cleanup tool?

Or get used to opening documents using the right-click > Open with method?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response which I just read today. I would settle for the right-click method qutie happily. Word 97 is listed as an option, but when I select it I get a severe warning:

"C:\Users\.......\Documents\Wendy.doc
    "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

How could "the product" not be installed if it is listed as one of the options?

In a response from MS I was told to use the FixIt tool. This was right under my message to MS saying I had used the FixIt tool and it hadn't FixedIt. It's an Alice in Wonderland situation, a program written by the Mad Hatter. I suspect that the Red Queen would have a solution, and by this time I wouldn't mind lopping off a few heads too!

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-05-25 at 17:15. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Was Word 97 a standalone install? Have you done a registry search for C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows