Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lounger
    Thanks
    interesting, but no defrag software has been active, afaik. and in this case the defrag would have to run every few hours, and be set to erase the entire recycle bin... seems unlikely, but i will hunt for anythings which might be defragging. closer to fragging, i think, in this case.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also had this same problem for some time and have been following this discussion hoping for a simple solution as I am not very computer savvy. Most of the suggestions offered seemed too complicated for me to attempt except for the last suggestion by Swampster. I have had System Mechanic Installed on my PC which I have been happy with but I wasn't sure if my problem started with the installation of this programme. Well, I deleted System Mechanic today and put a number of photos in my Recycle Bin. When I had a look in the bin about six hours later, they are all still there so it looks like the removal of my clean up programme has solved my problem. I will have to get onto iolo to find out how I can use System Mechanic without recycle bin automatically deleting it contents. Thanks Swampster.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Swampster, i'm glad it worked for you. I also had disabled mechanic, but after a number of hours my recycle bin emptied itself. Hope you don't have any future PC problems.
    best,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's now over 24 hours since I uninstalled System Mechanic and all the files I have since moved into the Recycle Bin are still there. They used to disappear automatically within a hour or so before. I have reported the matter to tech. support at System Mechanic to find the reason. Will keep you informed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnee For This Useful Post:

bruce_hyman (2013-06-04)

Thanks
    The normal operation of the recycle bin is that until you reach the selected size limit of the recycle bin, all files you move there will stay there unless you manually delete them.

If one of the properties of System Mechanic was automatically deleting files sent to recycle, and you uninstalled System Mechanic, then the recycle bin should return to it's default behavior, which is as I just described.

It sounds as though your system is doing exactly as it was designed to do. It does not sound as though there is any problem in your system that System Mechanic techs will be able to solve since it appears to be working properly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bruce_hyman (2013-06-04)

Thanks
    I suspect that System Mechanic had its own hidden "recycle bin" similar to the one Norton had in its old Norton Utilities. It used to drive me nuts when Windows would report the disk as full and Windows explorer showed a small number of files used until I discovered the PC had Norton's recycler that was part of Norton Undelete. Emptying it restored disk space.

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

bruce_hyman (2013-06-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    well, gang, thanks to everybody above. problem solved. iolo's default setting is to regularly delete everything from the recycle bin. if you dont want that to happen, you have to go into the detailed line by line settings and explicitly uncheck a detault setting. they seem to think that is the right way for the system to run; i believe it is totally bass ackwards. i have run across similar things before - and it is infuriating. thank you again, everybody. now the only 'problem' is that olio has defaults that should never be preset as currently configured.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Spot on bruce-human. It appears that my issue was the same as yours with iolo's System Mechanic clutter setting. I have reinstalled System Mechanic and tried it out and can confirm that that was the problem. I have now set it so that the recycle bin will empty when I want to empty it. You were on the right track jwitalka and this was confirmed by the System Mechanic tech. support who replied to my to my email within twenty four hours. I was impressed with that. My thanks to everyone also.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gang, we have just relearned for the umpteenth time the power of mutual support. Thank you, world wide web, for everything, and thank you, Windows Secrets, for hosting this discussion.

Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle Bin does Auto Empty after System Mechanic uninstalled

Running Win 7 Pro on 64-bit, SP 1. Gosh, I at least feel better to know that I'm not the only person that System Mechanic has screwed up. I bought SM from a reputable web site in good faith, left it on my desk for a couple of wks. before installing. I finally installed it, checked all settings which seemed normal, and ran it--most everything went bonkers. Desktop icons disappeared, all Taskbar icons were gone, no programs would load (Word, Excel, or WE). However, the machine would boot up normally, Firefox showed my homepage, nothing else, and the Recycle Bin constantly emptied. I quickly uninstalled SM, ran CCleaner, TuneUp Utilities 2013, and jv16 PowerTools 2012--now, no sign of SM anywhere on my computer. However, the Recycle Bin continues to empty automatically (this is my problem). In addition to the above, I'm running MS Malicious Software Removal Tool V4.14, and ESET Smart Security 6. I know some of these empty the Recycle Bin when set to do so, but I've checked everything and cannot find a reason for the RB to automatically empty. Incidentally, SM will not refund because I'm over their 30 day limit. The RB is a great safety tool for me and I'll appreciate any advice or help with keeping it full. Thanks to System Restore, I'm up and running again. Best regards.

Lounger
    Thanks
    sorry for your troubles, too. based on everything you've said, all i can think of is to check the rb's own setting - there is an option to delete stuff rather than storing it. second, i'd suggest booting into safe mode and see what happens; then enable all other software one app at a time, with your usual check of rb contents. good luck!
    an interesting side note - i also recently installed a toshiba canvio 3 tb backup drive. and learned that its default settings exclude "raw" files from my camera, among other things. you have to hunt deep in the menus to change the default. i griped, and they said it was deliberate; this is like saving photos and destroying the negatives. or eliminating the spare tire in a car to make it lighter to save fuel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123