Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Recycle bin keeps emptying itself despite settings

My PC"s recycle bin is definitely not set to permanently delete files, but the bin empties itself every few hours. (haven't got an exact timing yet.) so it always has somewhere between 0 and a handful of files in its 9 gigabytes. the PC has a 1.5 TB c drive, an internal swap drive, and a 3TB external backup drive which was added a month or so ago.

Thanks
    Try disabling your Security software as a test.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    will do - am currently trying to undelete everything in recycle bin, to attempt salvage. will get back to you; thanks for the suggestion will reply after weekend.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Also check to see if you have any third part system cleaning tools scheduled to run.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, i dont have any 3rd party sys clean programs running. i've just disabled Norton, and deleted a file. we'll see what happens. on a related topic, where does the recycle bin reside if i have more than one system hard drives and delete a file from d: or e: - is the bin established on all drives, to hold 'local" deletes, or is the bin on c: to hold all deletes regardless of where they previously resided? and, if i delete the recycle bin (dont know if this is possible) will the system recreate it on the next boot?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Each drive has its own recycle bin and each user has their own recycle bin. To see the Recycle Bin you must not have "Hide Protected Operating System Files" enabled. It should be in the Root of each drive.

Joe

Thanks
    I haven't used it for a long time but Norton used to have its own recycle bin replacement. Does your version of Norton have it?

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    it wasnt norton. my external backup drive was active while i was away this afternoon, according to the event log, and the file in the recycle bin vaporized. now we'll try with the backup disabled and turn norton back on.

Lounger
    Thanks
    status update: system log doesnt seem to have anything peculiar; backup s/w was not active; files in recycle still vaporized. will do a safe mode test soon as i can.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce_hyman View Post
    status update: system log doesnt seem to have anything peculiar; backup s/w was not active; files in recycle still vaporized. will do a safe mode test soon as i can.
    Bruce,
    Hello... Could be that you have the "Recycle Bin" size set to small ...so when the file size is larger than the setting ...it' will empty itself ..Right click on the "Recycle Bin" and choose "properties" ...see what the settings are... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-21 at 13:28.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    good idea but the bin is 9268 megabytes. thanks for the suggestion....

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    good idea but the bin is 9268 megabytes. thanks for the suggestion....
    Bruce,
    Hello... Do you have the "Display delete confirmation dialog" checked?....Regards Fred

PS: How much space is left on your C: drive? (just your OS not the Hard drive capacity)
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-21 at 14:51.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    dis play delete confirmation is checked. c drive - 914 gb free of 1.35 tb.
    i'm not sure what you meant by "just the OS", since i assume that various folders expand or shrink as needed. please clarify what you meant.. thanks very much.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    i'm not sure what you meant by "just the OS", since i assume that various folders expand or shrink as needed. please clarify what you meant..
    Bruce,
    Hello... The "OS" will be by default your C: partition.....As many that have hard drives will partition the drive into several pieces ...C: being the OS , D: for DATA, E:, F: G: etc for various other requirements
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, thanks. i think i answered with the previous comment - c:\ is the OS and main data drive; it has 900 gig free space.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast