2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

old laptop hangs for no apparent reason

Background;

A several year old HP DV9000 running Win 7 Home Premium nearly fully patched. 2gb ram (max), an sd card used for readyboost. I go to use it, and it turns out it froze 3 hours earlier. I have Moo0's SystemMonitor running at the time and the only hint is that Flash is the top cpu user at the time. This laptop clearly can't support too much open at once, so I 'enforce' limits on open windows and apps, and recently did a cleanup that left it running fairly well. I've installed most of the May 2013 Windows updates already (except optional ones) before the hang.

I checked the Event viewer. There was not even a hint of anything going at the time of the freeze. So I'm just trying to figure out what might have caused this hang.

Thanks
    Random hangs in old laptops are commonly caused by overheating due to dust buildup on the CPU heatsink/Fan assembly. You can try cleaning it by using a can of compressed air and blowing out all the vents.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been keeping this as clean as I can and when I looked at the SystemMonitor display on the frozen system the temps were reasonable. But I will do another cleaning anyway.