2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 365 subscription

I was curious as to what people here think 1. of Office 365 / 2013, and 2. of the subscription service.

There are 4 people in my household, and we do most of our computer work on - hey, 4 PC's. In the past, we managed with 3, and I'd put Office 2010 on all 3 with the Home multipack. With the 4th PC and a real cost control need, I had to rethink. I was going to buy one more license for 2010, but the price seemed excessive, so I signed up for the 30 day free trial of 365. I quickly realized that there was something helpful here - 365 comes with Access and Publisher. A quick calculation made it clear that normally such a version of office was way out of my reach money wise. Also, while $100 or so a year is not trivial in a post recession home, it meant I no longer had to go chasing new licenses for more PC's and newer versions of Office.

Actual first impressions; so far so good. It is fairly easy to adapt to, but still a bit clunky. Doing an AltS to save a file makes strange things happen on screen, but it does work. I have had one app crash so far - no shock, really. I mostly use .docx era files, but also pumped out older .doc's. So far it is working fairly well and it has been installed on the newest computer in the house. I did have hassle converting from free trial to annual subscription, but that's done with.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've been using Office 2013 at work since it was RTM'd. Shortly after that at home. I generally like it. Especially once I got past the initial screens for most of the apps. The flat look takes a little getting used to as do the stupid color schemes. I don't recall any app crashes yet. At work, we continue to find more reasons to use OneNote. It is one of the under publicized parts of Office that is really good.

We also use Office 365 at work. I really like that since it I can easily get to email and SharePoint on any device. We've migrated email to Office 365 completely and are in the process of migrating SharePoint. I think the price for Office 365 Home Premium is very reasonable. When you have multiple PCs it becomes pretty compelling with the cloud storage and always up-to-date programs.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never figured out what I could use OneNote for. If I also had it on my Android phone, and if my wife could access it, maybe I'd find use for it, maybe not.

The look of 2013 Office is a bit strange, and it is annoying that the menus are all upper case. The odd things that happen when I do an Alt S to save a file are beyond me, but it's not a big deal. So far I've put it on 2 systems, eventually a couple more. I haven't gone for the online storage yet or free Skype call minutes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    OneNote is the best Office app and the one I use the most. There is a OneNote app for Android and if you keep the original OneNote notebook om SkyDrive, you can share it seemlessly with whoever you want. My work notebooks are seamlessly shared with my co-workers and it's actually a great way to have shared notes, between multiple people, with any of them able to add and edit the notebooks.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I use OneNote daily. I have a couple of different sections. Section one is Grocery List by month and day, with the day sheets eliminated after a week or so. Next I have a Needed section that is shared with the household, and then I have a Recipes section that I keep well recipes in. When I want to cook up something I can check the ingredients against what is in house, and then C/P what isn't into a grocery list or the needed tab. I got the idea for this from one of the first Windows Phone commercials, I just took it a little bit further.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For those of us who've never figured out how to use it, can you suggest a few basics? I'm used to Word, Excel, Visio, Powerpoint, and Project - but not OneNote.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I suppose each OneNote user has its own perspective on the app, but you should probably try to get some videos and online tours to get a good view of what it allows. I will give you a bit of my view.

OneNote is really a digital notebook that allows you to take notes and share them easily, both between computers you own or with other people you want to share them with. The basic concept is the Notebook, which can be organized into sections. A section can have pages. A page can have sub-pages, which can have pages themselves.
    A notebook can reside on your computer or it can reside seemlessly on Skydrive. The latter is the best option when you want to share the notebook contents with someone else, be that someone another person or another of your computers. Updating can be made concurrently. A notebook needs no saving. You just write to it, either by typing or by hand-writing, if your device supports it - I first became in contact with OneNote when I bought my first tablet PC - running Windows XP Tablet edition, which supported hand-writing with a pen. This was back in 2005 and I have been using tablets and OneNote ever since.

OneNote supports multiple features to make not taking easier. When attending a class or a session that you can record, it can record audio and will sync your written notes with the audio. It supports easy insertion of tables, checkboxes for todo lists, bullets and the like. It allows you to easily capture stuff from the web, that you can paste into a notebook and it will automatically save the link, so that you can go back to it, if you want to. If you use IE, it has the ability to sync the notes you take with the pages you view on IE.
    All content in your notebooks is easily searchable. Every notebook is limitless in size - you can add sections, pages, sub-pages. A page will grow according to your needs. You can send stuff to OneNote very easily - it works a bit as a printer and it will receive stuff from the browser or any other app, so it can have any content of any Windows app, that then you can take notes on and include in your notebooks.
    OneNote allows you to include links to your other Office docs, Word, Excel, etc or it allows you to attach them. In the latter case, that document will remain unchanged, even if the original changes. With OneNote 2013, it can link to other documents, display their contents and update those contents as they change. I use this last feature a lot, with Visio, to take notes about diagrams representing data or system models.

I keep notebooks on each of my work projects, links to the most varied software tools I use, the technical books and articles I read (writing small summaries that allow me to go back and browse contents for a quick overview - these summaries can include both my notes and contents easily copied from the digital books) or the classes I used to teach - I kept a notebook for each semester with a section for each course. I also keep an assortment of other personal notebooks on multiple subjects. All my notebooks are synced between my laptop and desktop and work related are shared with my co-workers on each of the relevant projects. They are always up to date and syncing works pretty much seemlessly. All my personal notebooks are accessible from my Windows Phone, through SkyDrive.

You can use OneNote in multiple ways, depending on your needs. I really enjoy it. If you are considering using it, do a bit of searching for videos and how-tos. It can get you up to speed with OneNote very easily.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks

Cool

I would have to agree with Rui on that one. If you do a Bing for OneNote tutorial you will come up with a lot of help.

Here is a SnagIt of mine. So when I go to the store I already have my phone with me and simply pull up my shopping list, and get what I need. On the side of the note, you will notice that it shows my handle. That tells me that the info added came from my mobile. If there were another persons name there that I had shared it with and they had added something, then their name would show up there.

Shopping.jpg

When I cook one of these delicious entree's I take my Windows Phone to the kitchen, pull up the page and burn away.........

OneNote.jpg

If you don't use a Windows Phone, and can't get OneNote on your mobile platform, might I suggest that Evernote (I think it is still free) is a great OneNote replacement, and even has a few more features than OneNote.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice. Makes you wonder why Microsoft doesn't push it hard as a great feature of Office. Only real reason I know I have it is that it shows up after you install Office.