California, USA

Designate Program to View a File

Belarc tells me that I am running "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)" I have kept it up to date. Why replace what works just fine and is not broken (save that it may be compromised because MS no longer supports it.)

I use Secunia to tell me when I need to update software. From time to time I'm told that I need to update Acrobat Reader to keep my computer secure. I own a copy of Acrobat Professional. I prefer to use it to view and manipulate PDF files. Each time I update Acrobat Reader it presumes that Reader is the application of choice for experiencing PDF files. For me, it isn't. I know and prefer Acrobat Professional.

I've tried searching for a protocol for resetting Acrobat Professional as the tool to use when I open a PDF file. Google returns a plethora of useless advice. Color me confused!

There must be a simple way to reset my preference for Acrobat Professional. What is it, please?

Thanks in advance.

Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

WS Lounge VIP
    Open Windows Explorer.
    Hold down the Shift key and right click on a PDF.
    Select "Open with",
    Choose the required program, you may have to browse to the folder where the program is installed.
    Ensure the "Always use the selected program..." box is ticked.
    Click OK.

cheers, Paul