Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 installation problems

Computors are fun ! This HP AMD Duo core runs fine. Well, in a fashion. I looked at System in CP and it said that there were two days left in Activation to be done. I had used a DVD for a family, three licenses, I did a "Custom" install with an upgrade DVD. I had flushed the HD as W-7 was already installed but so bloated that it was easier to start anew.
    After a 1 hour call to MS Support in the Philippines, I got a new key and it is now activated, yeah!

Now the problem. I can open Excel, do some changes to a file but it will not let me save it. It says that a permission is not held by me, the only one using the machine. I had a look at the permissions and all are checked ok. It gets a bit more biding now. I did a clone yesterday and even if I use the file from that clone, I have the same problem. If I import the file to my laptop, it also is locked when I work on it, on the laptop. When I use the one in the laptop, all is fine. This is all new to me, never too late to learn !
    Can I be enlightened a trifle as to how to cure this annoyance, please.

Thanks
    Download TakeOwnership then use it to Take Ownership of your User Account Directory C:\{username]}. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will do it, RG, thanks. But why in the first place, did it do this ? JP.

This HTH did not work, RG. It will not even allow me to unzip it. Darn !
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-05-18 at 10:49. Reason: Last line.

Thanks
    Try this method. Select all of the following code, paste it into a Notepad and Save as "InstallTakeOwnership.reg" (not .txt) to your Desktop:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    Same procedure for the reverse action here, Save as "RemoveTakeOwnership.reg":
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    To install (or uninstall) the extension, simply double-click the required file and agree to the prompts.

Thanks
    I use GrantAdminFullControl rather than Take ownership. It does more than simply Take Ownership, I have heard.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hold on every body. There is something really amiss here. All that I try as advised, keeps saying that the file can not be accessed. Looks like I might have to do this install all over again. I will let you know. Thanks for at least moral support so far.

OK, I now have a workaround. I will wait until I get back home and then look into this properly. Thanks to all. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-05-18 at 14:30.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya I don't know what's amiss but everything suggested is more for ownership, not for saving changes on a locked file. Is it just Excel/Office files that behave this way or different types as well? Can you use the Save as... method or is that prevented as well?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, FUN, for your ongoing interest. The modified files will not be saved at all. My workaround was to save it to a USB device and run it from it. When I try a save, normal, it says that it will not be able to access C:/ where the Excel app is located. All else is fine and runs very nice. It sure has me dazzled. No save As permitted. I did install Office from a valid CD, Word is fine so far, that is all that I have set up, so far. Let me try something.
    OK, I have cured the problem. I can not understand why my normal way of doing things did not work on this new install of W-7. I had the file for Excel in the C:/ folder and this one did not like it. Ro cure this, I made another new folder and placed in into the Excel one then move my file to it and voilà, I still do not know why it did not work. But now it does. Mind over matter, of course.
    Thanks to all for support. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-05-18 at 18:59. Reason: Cure done !

Thanks
    Did you wave some incense of it and chant in a rhythmic voice? They say that sometimes cures PC ailments!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Kind of what I was going to suggest, you just moved them to a new folder? I would have said to move them to a network shared location or NAS with the OS that isn't working correctly, then copy them back to a new folder.
    Sometimes I have denied permissions when opening from different computers if I don't save in the public folder and rather than change permissions for each file or folder from that specific computer, I flank the whole stupid security process with the process above because just moving the file to public doesn't change the file permission.
    Many workarounds required when living more in the network rather than on any one system.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Thanks, FUN, for your ongoing interest. The modified files will not be saved at all. My workaround was to save it to a USB device and run it from it. When I try a save, normal, it says that it will not be able to access C:/ where the Excel app is located. All else is fine and runs very nice. It sure has me dazzled. No save As permitted. I did install Office from a valid CD, Word is fine so far, that is all that I have set up, so far. Let me try something.
    OK, I have cured the problem. I can not understand why my normal way of doing things did not work on this new install of W-7. I had the file for Excel in the C:/ folder and this one did not like it. Ro cure this, I made another new folder and placed in into the Excel one then move my file to it and voilà, I still do not know why it did not work. But now it does. Mind over matter, of course.
    Thanks to all for support. Jean.
    It's not a good idea to keep stuff in the root folder, JP. I think Windows doesn't really like it and it's not that good from an organizational point of view.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Rui, it is something that at one rime, I knew and must have forgotten it. I will look into my other machines when I get home again to see how this was set up. What lit my candle was the fact that when trying to save a modified file, it said that it could not reach C:/. It was in agreement with you, do not save to the root. Let me call this a "live and learn" process even at my age ! JP.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-05-19 at 07:21.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, FUN. The dialogs that came on screen were misleading to say the least, it was not at all a case of permission but of path. After the light came on, it got cured easily. I had never come up to a permission problem and this is one case again that was not one. All my many machines are "one-user" type and everything is permitted. Strike this one to experience. Thanks for the moral support. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, good morning. You really do not want me to try this : >>> chant in a rhythmic voice <<<. When I try this, it is a run for your life situation and everybody scatters. This HP machine was my sister's (RIP) and I claimed it as nobody in her family wanted it, it had one of my 3 family licenses on it. It was so bloated that I did a clean install with an Upgrade DVD. This install would not accept the same keys ! I had a call to the Philippines (MS) and the techie confirmed that the keys were valid. Very strange ! He was nice enough to provide me with a new set of keys and all is in oil now.
    This machine is worth it, it has a twin-core 2.60 CPU, 64 bitness too. It came with an HP 3050A Wireless printer, more studying to do !
    Have a nice weekend, still counting snow-geese here. Jean.

Thanks
    There are many of those geese down here in upstate western NY as well my friend. We call them something less than complimentary because of the amount they eat, then discharge out the other end! LOL. You have a fantastic week end (what there is left of it) as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast