New Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing hard drive

The hard drive in my laptop (10 yrs old) is making scratching noises and may be ready to give out and I don't think a replacement is available for this laptop.. Is it ever possible to substitute an external hard drive (the one I used to back up the laptop) as the main C drive to take over. There's nothing on the hard drive that I want to keep.If it is possible, how do I inactivate the old drive? Would I need to reinstall Win 7 or would it still be present after inactivating the old drive? If I need to reinstall it would it install on an external drive?Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allerder View Post
    Is it ever possible to substitute an external hard drive (the one I used to back up the laptop) as the main C drive to take over. There's nothing on the hard drive that I want to keep.If it is possible, how do I inactivate the old drive? Would I need to reinstall Win 7 or would it still be present after inactivating the old drive? If I need to reinstall it would it install on an external drive?
    allerder,
    Hello... I'll try to answer...but would need more info (if a replacement is available for your laptop)

1. Yes you can substitute (exchange) hard drives ...the procedure is "Cloning" You clone the original to an external (via USB connection) and then switch out the old for the new.

2. Once the "Swap " is made you could format the old one with a boot time partition manager.

3. "Windows 7" after the clone, would be an exact copy of your failing Hard Drive. so no re-install would be necessary

4. There are free programs that will do this for you Macrium Reflect is one that i have used. Regards Fred

PS: NewEgg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-18 at 15:44.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

allerder (2013-05-20)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You'll need a drive with the same formfactor to make it work, for a 10 year old laptop, probably a 2.5" IDE drive, which are still available (just barely) through Amazon for instance. If it's a decent laptop there should be a rectangular cover on the back that you can unscrew and take a gander at the drive and verify the formfactor before getting a replacement.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

allerder (2013-05-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can pull the hard drive from the laptop, get the make/model and google the information as it might still be available from some vendors
    Last year I replaced a 6 year old laptop hard drive for my friend by ordering it from ebay and it only cost him 35.00 and his computer is still running fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

allerder (2013-05-20)

Thanks
    You don't need an exact replacement. It just needs to have the same interface IDE or SATA, You can see a video of the typical process at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U23F8JuKKE&noredirect=1

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-05-21)