Star Lounger
    Thanks

UEFI problem with SSD

I hope this is the correct place .....

I recently updated my mother board to a Gigabyte GA-H77-H3H board and took the opportunity to install an SSD M4 CT128M4SSD2 drive on which I installed Win7 64 using UEFI - or at least thought I did. I am not really used to either SSDs or UEFI. It gave me two small partitions followed by the main partition with the operating system on it. All data is stored on other conventional SATA drives.

I noticed that the SSD showed up twice in the BIOS, once as PM M4-CT128M4SSD2 and once as P0 M4 xxxxxx (I think the "xxxxxx" was CT128M4SSD2 as on the other appearance but I am not sure. I found from playing with the BIOS that the system would boot from the entry beginning P0 but not that beginning PM.

Recently on closing down my computer it began automatically rebooted instead of closing down so I had to unplug the machine as soon as it powered down. Today I reset the BIOS to attempt to solve the rebooting find that my system will now only load as far as the little coloured dots starting to circle before they lock up for a second, there is a flash of a blue error screen and the computer reboots.

The entry in BIOS for the SSD beginning P0 has gone and only the one that begins with PM remains.

When I set the Boot Mode in BIOS to UEFI (rather than UEFI and Legacy which it is normally in) no drives show up indicating that no UEFI partitions can be seen. I ASSUME that the entry beginning P0 indicated that something was showing as an UEFI origionally. Windows rescue could not find the Win 7 64 either. The Macrium Lynux rescuedisk can see the SSD drive OK.

I have a full back up of ALL the SSD (all 3 partitions) from last night in Macrium but see no point in installing from that as I think that my problems have been in my SSD every since I set it up or shortly after and only the resetting of the BIOS has brought it to light. I am 90% sure that I did not alter settings other than the BIOS features on the one screen in BIOS and there is nothing different now. I would have used the default settings other than the boot order.

Does anyone have ny ideas what is wrong and more importantly if it can be corrected without re-installing on my SSD. Possibly by reformatting the SSD and restoring the C drive only?? If so how do I re-format properly this time!

I have some products with limited install lives such as Dragon so want to avoid re-install if possible.

To repeat HELP!!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

Does anyone have ny ideas what is wrong and more importantly if it can be corrected without re-installing on my SSD. Possibly by reformatting the SSD and restoring the C drive only?? If so how do I re-format properly this time!
    John,

Hello... Sounds like a real mess.. The problem as i see it is that you tried to do too many steps a once..(Been there done that) so it will be difficult to pin down the problem .. New motherboards (UEFI or other) and SSD's can have problems right from the "Geko" What i would do is

1. Remove the DATA drives to be safe... and install the 7 \ 64 to a Hard drive set up for MBR (not GPT) Just for a test .

2. If your Motherboard is OK at that point ...IE: you can boot the OS without problems ...you then could try the same with your SSD.

3. The key thing is to get an operating OS ...you then can "Fool" with it and then set it up however you want...EX: clone the working OS to the SSD ,or just image recover to it, etc. ....Just my 2¢ Regards Fred

PS: I have a ASUS UEFI MOBO and run a multi-boot system with all HD's (SATA) set up MBR ...no need to go the GPT route unless you need or want to ...
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-19 at 08:34.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You could also contact Crucial support via on line Chat here:
    http://www.crucial.com/contact/

I found them very helpful when I thought I bricked my SSD via a firmware update gone wrong.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for suggestions.

It all seemed like a good idea at the time ....!!!

I had thought of setting up another system on one of the other drives that would take the pressure off me (emails et) and give me time to play.

I had planned to set up double boot when something went wrong but .... I guess I will be doing it now!! I have on old previously used but now unused license to keep Microsoft happy.
    still like to try to get the old system working long enough to at least unistall the life limited software.

I might try ringing crucial when i have got a a working system on another sata drive.

John

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 8 is designed to work with UEFI, so I would upgrade to it and format the SSD as GPT.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Legge View Post
    Windows 8 is designed to work with UEFI, so I would upgrade to it and format the SSD as GPT.
    Windows 8 works just fine in MBR. The only real advantage with GPT/UEFI is in enabling Secure Boot (advantage Microsoft, not necessarily the end user) and that GPT will allow up to 128 primary partitions and drives larger than 2.2GB (which is only an advantage if you want a single HUGE partition); MBR allows only 4, but one can setup 3 primary partitions and one extended partition, and within that extended partition create as many logical drives as one needs. And partitioning an MBR drive with partitions smaller than 2.2GB also allows for the use of larger drives

Adventures with UEFI has some information that might come in handy.

Windows 7 64bit will also run UEFI/GPT. Doesn't mean that it has to. Windows 8 doesn't have to either.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All very well, but John B is having a problem that shouldn't exist with Win7 64-bit, so I would upgrade to Win8 64-bit. Especially since Microsoft is bringing out the free 8.1 update that is going to address user complaints soon.

I had a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 that suddenly started just switching the computer off after a while the duration of which varied. It was a dual-boot system and Windows XP Pro worked just fine. I disabled all of the power options to no avail and then formatted its partition and reinstalled the original version that had to be updated to SP1 and unbelievably the problem was still there, so I just upgraded it to Win8 Pro, which I got for £25 during the cheap offer period, and the problem was gone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Legge View Post
    All very well, but John B is having a problem that shouldn't exist with Win7 64-bit, so I would upgrade to Win8 64-bit. Especially since Microsoft is bringing out the free 8.1 update that is going to address user complaints soon.
    I'm dual booting Windows 7 64bit with Windows 8 64bit in UEFI/GPT; works fine. The OP didn't make any mention of upgrading to Windows 8, but did mention getting the Windows 7 install going without having to do a reinstall.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows