Thanks

Make a handy "power" tool.

If you don't have it, download the PsTools Suite. Unzip it to its own folder, preferably a root folder - mine is on G drive.

Next, copy a Command Prompt shortcut from the All Programs Menu to the Desktop. Right-click and select Properties, and on the Shortcut tab click the Advanced button. Put a check in the box by "Run as administrator". It should already have a check by "run in separate memory space".

Now change the command line in the "Target" field. My PsTools folder is on G drive, so mine is:

"C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c G:\pstools\psexec -i -s cmd.exe".

What this produces is a System Level Command Prompt. That's a power tool. I use Regedit frequently, so I've also got this one:

"C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c G:\pstools\psexec -i -s cmd.exe /c C:\Windows\regedit.exe"

Using that one, if I come across a TrustedInstaller key I want to modify, I can give ownership to SYSTEM, rather than Administrators, and make my modifications without side effects.

--- edit --- I failed to mention this, but for those who may not be familiar with it, PsTools is a subset of Sysinternals, a great compilation of extremely useful utilities. /--- edit ---

--- edit #2 --- I've changed the /k switch to the /c switch in my example shortcuts. Using the /c switch allows closing the app opened using the System Level Command prompt to close the open Console windows as well.

to RetiredGeek for this tip. --- /edit ---

...and a visual:

Visual Aid.PNG
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-06-14 at 17:14. Reason: additional info
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2014-09-30),Dick-Y (2013-06-06),IGotItHereSomewhere (2013-06-06),mrjimphelps (2013-05-17),RetiredGeek (2013-05-17),ruirib (2013-05-17),RussB (2013-05-17)

Thanks
    Bruce,

As mentioned in another post I got your first command to work by changing the quotation marks to:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe \k "G:\BEKDocs\NonInstPrograms\SysInternals\psexe c" -i -s cmd.exe

However, no matter what I do I can't get the second command to work. I'm using:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k "G:\BEKDocs\NonInstPrograms\SysInternals\psexe c" -i -s cmd.exe /k C:\Windows\regedit.exe
    and I keep getting this:
    System Level Regedit.JPG
    BTW: I also tried it with the .exe attached to the end of the psexec command portion and also w/o the quotes.

Any ideas?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Bruce,

Here's mine copied directly from the Properties of the shortcut:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k G:\PsTools\Psexec -i -s Cmd.exe /k C:\Windows\regedit.exe

By chance did you neglect to click the Advanced button on the shortcut Properties and put a tick by Run as administrator?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Bruce,
    By chance did you neglect to click the Advanced button on the shortcut Properties and put a tick by Run as administrator?
    What do you think I am some kind of noob? ...oops! Thanks Bruce...
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks

Unleash Windows