Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure this belongs here, but...

Many of you may have been asked to fill out an online survey about the Windows Secrets Web site. At one point the survey asks about any issues...I posted about the Patch Watch Segment, but think that what I said may be of interest to readers of the Lounge Forum...

the patch watch segment...I think it is important...but, the warnings often come out after the MS Updates have been installed. That means going back and combing through recent installs. it is too tedious, and to be honest I have never had a problem of which I am aware. otoh, there remains much confusion in my mind about .net updates, patches, etc. Like many computer users, I get .net error messages from time to time, which I suspect are linked to having two .net apps running at the same time...not sure what to do about it, but I keep trying..:-)

sherm

Thanks
    You can try doing a ,net repair:
    http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and...-easy-way.html

If that doesn't work, try Microsoft's fix:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30135

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shermank View Post
    Like many computer users, I get .net error messages from time to time, which I suspect are linked to having two .net apps running at the same time...not sure what to do about it, but I keep trying..:-)

sherm
    .Net versions were meant to be able to be installable side by side without any negative effects.

If you have specific problems, it is better to provide all the relevant info, so that we can try to help.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    .Net versions were meant to be able to be installable side by side without any negative effects.

If you have specific problems, it is better to provide all the relevant info, so that we can try to help.

Thanks, the problems are so sporadic and without a particular pattern or frequency that it is difficult to provide specifics. But, I will try the .net repair link. And, when things do pop up, I will try to capture what info I can and transmit it to the forum. Thanks....btw, I posted on another forum recently, in a context that has nothing to do with this, that my limited experience is that .net should be secured by MS so that it cannot be accessed, altered, or otherwise meddled with by any but a trained expert, not moderately curious amateurs, which fits my classification.

Sherm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    I know they seem to be common, but I never had an issue with .Net, since the XP days...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Patch watch
    Nothing to get excited about here.

If you are a computer n00b, then you should keep the WU service active, d/l & install all critical patches that arise, ...automatically.
    If you are more conscientious about the care and feeding of your system then you can safely turn WU off and wait until
    more specific info on various patches comes available.

For someone in between the two above, well, you get the gist of it.

Bottom line: there is no rush to install these updates immediately, especially if you are an advanced Windows computer user.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks to all for advice and info....

Sherm

Thanks
    After spending hours and hours, unscrambling a PC that's been hozed by an MS Update, I shut off Auto Updates and make sure the PC has the Best AV and AS software installed and that the Operator knows how to keep them all updated, and scans run.

Life after Microshaft, can be Bliss!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    If Windows update isn't working, its a sign that something is wrong with the PC. Its my belief that it should always be active and kept functional. The updates are supplied by Microsoft for a good reason.

Jerry

Thanks
    Yeah, I second what Jerry said,
    most of the issues with WU will be a users own OS related corruptions and mal-software interactions.
    Occasionally MS will screw up on an update, but the vast majority of issues are purely individual user issues relating to software environmental corruptions.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I second the motion too. I keep accepting, sight unseen, all WUs. I also keep a recent clone of my many machines and if ever, never happened yet, an update messes up, I would go and clone my machines back. So, this is why I accept all WU in spite of this lady in Secrets that says a lot about MSWU. So far, not a hiccup. JP.

Thanks
    I also do this, except I use Images rather than clones. Right after each patch Tuesday I create a new Image. In this way my Image is never more than a month old so if something goes wrong, I just restore to my latest Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hello. You wrote : except I use Images rather than clones.
    I knew this, hi ! hi ! I should resolve to get proficient at images too, the way you profess by them, it ought to be good. Another project for a rainy day. JP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post

After spending hours and hours, unscrambling a PC that's been hozed by an MS Update ...
    Microsoft has free e-mail support for updates.

If you don't live in the U.S. click here instead.

Thanks
    I let MS update download the updates, but I never let them install until I find out more about them first. It's automagically hosed my computer several times. Secunia, and Shavlik both have great applications for patch management.
    D1hartman