Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

windows xp is the best OS for windows family

windows xp is the best OS for windows family,in my opinion,
    what do you think?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Me too for many reasons, but, I would also like to borrow a feature from W7, jumplists.

Thanks
    Unless you have older hardware that doesn't support it, Windows 7 or Windows 8 with a few tweaks would be a better option as Microsoft will be ending support for Windows XP shortly. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are more secure OSes.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, we all have different measures of assessment, more locks on more doors has been nothing but a hindrance for me, never once have I thanked an OS for saving me from something because it was more secure because it hasn't happened. The percentage of denied permissions and forgotten passwords and denied access rights is going up I think, good in the sense you mean, hands in the air, curses to the sky in the sense I mean it.

Thanks
    I run XP on another drive and didn't like Windows 7 but then once I got used to it I now hate having to boot into XP..

At first I missed it but now I only use it for some hardware that isn't compatible with 7..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I'm still trying to figure out what "windows family" means. ???

I started out with DOS 2.0, circa 1980, where I had 100% control over everything that went on with my PC.

Today we've lost so much control like we didn't even own the dang PC. I get absolutely Furious, when my OS tells me I don't have permission to do something. I WILL do it, one way or another.

I get along pretty well, with Windows XP-Pro-SP3, tweaked and tuned to my specifications.
    But Windows 7 and 8 are just too limiting in what I can do. All that 'Permission' crap has no place in a HOME computer.
    In an office or Corp. environment, maybe, but not at home. That's pure BS!

I've experimented with loading Windows 8 on different PC's and in my last experiment I put it on an 8 year old eMachine with the AMD 64 bit CPU and 512 megs of ram. It actually runs pretty well, all things considered.
    Most amazing was that the great driver package that comes with Win-8 had all the hardware on that old PC working, right out of the box. I didn't have to install any drivers at all.

If Win-8 has any real selling point, that would be its ability to run on a wide variety of hardware.

Personally, I prefer to use Win-XP for my daily OS.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-06-06),moazzamsiddiqui (2013-06-08)

Thanks
    You can think of Windows Family like a bunch of relatives that get drunk together on the holidays and fight with each other all day and then forget they fought the next day when they are sober...

Yes, I remember those DOS days when your system crashed you just turned it on again and it worked fine.

I fired up an old computer I have that has ME on it the other day...
    And I once thought it was great!
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what "windows family" means. ???

I started out with DOS 2.0, circa 1980, where I had 100% control over everything that went on with my PC.

Today we've lost so much control like we didn't even own the dang PC. I get absolutely Furious, when my OS tells me I don't have permission to do something. I WILL do it, one way or another.

I get along pretty well, with Windows XP-Pro-SP3, tweaked and tuned to my specifications.
    But Windows 7 and 8 are just too limiting in what I can do. All that 'Permission' crap has no place in a HOME computer.
    In an office or Corp. environment, maybe, but not at home. That's pure BS!

I've experimented with loading Windows 8 on different PC's and in my last experiment I put it on an 8 year old eMachine with the AMD 64 bit CPU and 512 megs of ram. It actually runs pretty well, all things considered.
    Most amazing was that the great driver package that comes with Win-8 had all the hardware on that old PC working, right out of the box. I didn't have to install any drivers at all.

If Win-8 has any real selling point, that would be its ability to run on a wide variety of hardware.

Personally, I prefer to use Win-XP for my daily OS.

The Doctor
    Besides all the loss of efficiency and intuitive use that comes with W8 without a start menu, I almost get a claustrophobic feeling using it and I think that's because the loss of control has just reached that unmanageable point for me. I wouldn't do well in a prison!
    Almost weekly I curse out a Win7 system for suddenly not allowing access from an XP system and I threaten it with replacement (and sometimes I do!).

And, the one trick to making XP as stable as Win7 is knowing that when a program crashes, XP tries to debug with DrWatson, which of course crashes and hangs the computer with no recourse but to restart unless, one quickly goes into the Task Manager and kills all the DrWatson processes, then it's onward without pause. Maybe there's a way to disable this useless utility?

Anyone use this MS FixIt or registry modification with positive effects and no adverse effects?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-05-26 at 13:07.

Thanks
    I just love, to delete useless programs off of any PC on first call.
    DrWatson is one of those.
    Next step is to Disable a dozen or more useless System Services.

One of the most useful things I've found to use on my own PC and the PC's of my customers,
    is a script to force a new Restore Point on every boot-up.

The next best thing, is to do a Ghost backup of a C drive, after the computer has been cleaned
    up, tuned up and running at Max efficiency.

Then if something goes wrong, like a MS Update that corrupted the OS, and a System Restore
    can't fix the problem (often times it can, but sometimes it can't ) then the Ghost backup puts everything back the way
    it should be.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

moazzamsiddiqui (2013-06-08)

Thanks
    Windows 8 is my favorite, AS LONG AS I HAVE A START BUTTON / START MENU (such as StartIsBack).

If that were not available, then Windows 8 would be my least favorite, without any doubt.

As far as DOS, I liked the ease of installing / uninstalling programs -- to install, you copy it to the hard drive (or run it directly from the floppy disk). To uninstall, you delete it from the hard drive.

Thanks
    To say "windows XP is the best for windows family" is IMO not really explaining why you think so. Have you tried Win 7 or Win 8? What kind of PCs do you have? What are the specs?

As DrWho states, Win 8 seems to have a far better rate of working with old hardware than Win 7 did.

As far as security, IMO, the average PC user is NOT the people who post a lot here, and seem to answer questions here. The average PC user spends little to no time thinking about or performing PC maintenance, or running security scans. These people are the ones who post periodically "My PC is running very slowly, help". For these people, installing a more secure OS with a built in default AV app is better than what they have because they do not know how to do it themselves.

Since many of these average users have older hardware, perhaps Win 8 (with some customizations - Start Menu add-on) is the most appropriate OS as it DOES allow them less ways to mess up their systems, usually unintentionally, and does help to keep the nefarious "stuff" at bay.

Now if we could have a mechanism to slap their fingers when they start clicking on every pop up or "special" offer that comes along, we might not be so busy here in the Lounge.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-05-30)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the original OP was just establishing a linkback or something but it sparked a more interesting "veteran" discussion, leaving out the technically challenged and security challenged, though it seems to me in this forum at least, there is a very strong assertion of permissions and security impediments that are causing at least as many headaches as those who may be infected. Grant Full Admin rights recommendations and actions are more plentiful than ever.

PC grades are whatever can run all three OSes without showing any performance favors due to hardware.

My logic is simple, let me do what I want to do as effectively as possible and with the absolute least amount of interference or impediment. XP, hands down, wins that battle. Win7 lost (though I use it every day with XP; it's not that bad!) because it tries to be too helpful, to do some of the thinking for me, where absolutely none was required and in fact becomes a bit of an impediment; in other words, it got in the way. Mostly to do with the characteristics and behavior of explorer, but explorer is ubiquitous and the heart of modern Windows is it not? Slap more restrictive permissions and security on top of that and I do not have a more user-friendly OS than XP (unless the things Win 7 is trying to anticipate for me coincide with my goals, which they do sometimes, just not enough to get the winning mark). More secure? OK, but that means nothing to me as an advanced user.

Now that's not to say W7 isn't a perfectly fine OS, just that it doesn't quite have that perfect balance that I'm looking for. Even more so for 8 because its such a fixer-upper at this point in time; the "fixed" up Win 7 ++ part of Win 8 is fine but it has many of the same too-friendly impediments with even more security, and, I think I would probably be fine eventually with the ribbon-style explorer window interface, but of all things, that is the one I do not have enough experience with to answer without qualification. Worst of all was Vista by faaaaaaarrrrrrr because not only did it get in the way, it was actually broken until SP2 came out. There might be a hold out or two for W2K but I never used that OS so dunno!

Marry XP's explorer with the more modern W7 interface and I would quickly change my allegiance. Unfortunately for me, we're stuck with the heritage of a fixed up Vista explorer it seems, with Libraries coming into the mix, which are fine on a system by system, single user basis but fall apart in a multi-system dynamic, even more so in a mixed OS environment and in context to local library saving and access permissions. GRRRR!!!!! I need a parallel universe where Vista never existed!!! I have maybe 25-30 terabytes of data to manage over many systems and NAS devices so I want that as streamlined as possible. If I only had to worry about getting a "bug" from the Internet, couldn't care less, fill'er up with premium security please! It's not the OS'es that get directly attacked anymore anyway, it's Java, AdobeReader, drive by site infections, etc. Security on that front battleline, fine, just don't turn my whole bleeping system into a police state!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-06-06)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    To say "windows XP is the best for windows family" is IMO not really explaining why you think so. Have you tried Win 7 or Win 8? What kind of PCs do you have? What are the specs?

As DrWho states, Win 8 seems to have a far better rate of working with old hardware than Win 7 did.

As far as security, IMO, the average PC user is NOT the people who post a lot here, and seem to answer questions here. The average PC user spends little to no time thinking about or performing PC maintenance, or running security scans. These people are the ones who post periodically "My PC is running very slowly, help". For these people, installing a more secure OS with a built in default AV app is better than what they have because they do not know how to do it themselves.

Since many of these average users have older hardware, perhaps Win 8 (with some customizations - Start Menu add-on) is the most appropriate OS as it DOES allow them less ways to mess up their systems, usually unintentionally, and does help to keep the nefarious "stuff" at bay.

Now if we could have a mechanism to slap their fingers when they start clicking on every pop up or "special" offer that comes along, we might not be so busy here in the Lounge.
    Ted,

The only thing I would add to what you said is that the average user doesn't understand the implications of being "in the cloud" (i.e. his personal data gets pushed out automatically to the cloud without his being aware of it) by default in Windows 8, so if you don't want that, you need to set things up with a local account. But since the user is pushed in the direction of a Microsoft account, and since most users don't really understand these things, the end result is that some of the user's personal data will leak out without his even knowing about it or being told about it.

I believe that Microsoft should be required to display a disclaimer screen in plain English, explaining this to the user. And not part of the EULA, because no one ever reads the pages and pages of legalese that make up the EULA.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Ted,

The only thing I would add to what you said is that the average user doesn't understand the implications of being "in the cloud" (i.e. his personal data gets pushed out automatically to the cloud without his being aware of it) by default in Windows 8, so if you don't want that, you need to set things up with a local account. But since the user is pushed in the direction of a Microsoft account, and since most users don't really understand these things, the end result is that some of the user's personal data will leak out without his even knowing about it or being told about it.

I believe that Microsoft should be required to display a disclaimer screen in plain English, explaining this to the user. And not part of the EULA, because no one ever reads the pages and pages of legalese that make up the EULA.
    I think your language is a bit careless. Maybe you should state clearly what personal data "leaks out". Unless you can clearly back that, I am sorry to say it, but this is just spreading FUD and brings nothing tangible to the discussion.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    F.U.N. I do indeed understand your frustration. I have experienced it myself, albeit to a far less extent. Unfortunately MS has to design Windows for the masses of very novice users. Perhaps this is why most of these masses have Starter editions or home editions where as the more advanced users such as yourself have opted for the Pro or Ultimate or whatever editions. These more advanced editions allow for far greater control (GPEditor for example).

Even in a business environment, most of the actual users rely on an IT Dept. to handle all the complexities so all they have to do is push the ON button and start using whatever apps they commonly use.

I guess, because of the diversity of the mass of users, MS has to design the OS to be this way, and has to rely on the end users to customize things to work for them. And yes, they are attempting to enter the Touch and Tablet market to a far greater extent. For all it's reported shortcomings, Win 8 seems to be a very admirable attempt at this, IMO. We have hashed through all the pros and cons of Win 8, and I suspect we will continue to do so for a long time to come, but it is what it is.

Hopefully, as time goes on, Win 8 will evolve and more add-ons will be developed to allow both novice users and advanced users to equally enjoy what I do consider a more stable and secure OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast