Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

How to enable the F8 key

See the post from the Windows Club - Enable F8 key & Safe Mode in Windows 8.

Note: this does increase the boot time but if you need the F8 key who cares.

Joe

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2013-05-21),RetiredGeek (2013-05-20),ruirib (2013-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I searched around in EasyBCD and couldn't find a way to set/view this in EasyBCD. Did I miss something?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See the post from the Windows Club - Enable F8 key & Safe Mode in Windows 8.

Note: this does increase the boot time but if you need the F8 key who cares.

Joe
    Unfortunately, its not helpful when you get a system you want to boot into safe mode via F8 since the patch given here requires you to get to Safe Mode first. I just don't understand Microsoft's mindset on making F8 Safe Mode boot so hard to use. They could have at least made it possible via a recovery or install disk.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Unfortunately, its not helpful when you get a system you want to boot into safe mode via F8 since the patch given here requires you to get to Safe Mode first. I just don't understand Microsoft's mindset on making F8 Safe Mode boot so hard to use. They could have at least made it possible via a recovery or install disk.

Jerry
    Agree with you on the Microsoft mindset, Jerry. At least one can do this in preparation for a future situation where safe mode may be needed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    All I see in the post is run an elevated command prompt. It says nothing about being in Safe Mode first.

Joe

Thanks
    You're right Joe. I read the page too quickly. When I get time, I'll have to see if I can get to a Cmd prompt with an install or recovery disk sot I can run BCEDIt. This might be a method, although a convoluted one, to get a corrupted PC I get for repair to boot into Safe Mode. I still don't understand why Microsoft had to make it so difficult. Bbarren also described a dual boot procedure that allows an F8 Safe mode option but that's a little convoluted as well.

Jerry