New Lounger
    Thanks

Non destructive reinstall problem

Greetings to the forum.

I have a corrupt OS (W7,64bit Home edition) and I wish to do a non destructive reinstallation. I did one successfully last year following Freds excellent how to guide. I tried again this morning but failed due to this message that appears after I select "UPGRADE" in the process.

"The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

•Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade
    ."

What do I need to do to get around this so I can complete the reinstallation ?

Thanks & regards.

Tim Brown.
    Last edited by Tim Brown; 2013-05-20 at 16:01.

Thanks
    You probably installed SP1 and your install disk is at a prior level. Download the appropriate install disk iso as listed here and burn it to DVD:
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/downloa...ows-7-sp1-iso/

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Jerry. I deleted SP1 and re booted before attempting the reinstall. I have the original genuine Microsoft Win 7 installation disk and activation key so I don't need to download it.

Tim.

Thanks
    There is something else that has been updated to a newer version than your original installation disk. Perhaps IE is updated.

Jerry's suggestion will give you a version of Win 7 that may have more of the updates included than your original Win 7 installation.

Short of doing as Jerry suggested, it seems the only other option is a clean install of the original Win 7 installation media. Of course with a clean install you would have to reinstall all apps and reapply all customizations. This of course will give a more pristine installation.

Once you have done whichever works for you, I would suggest start using Imaging to back up your entire OS including all installed apps and customizations. This would have saved you a ton of time in restoring to a fresh install new condition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have IE10 installed, maybe that's causing it? If I were to remove IE10 and all the Windows up dates, do you think I will then be able to do a non destructive reinstallation with the same W7 disk that I used successfully last time ?

If I do re download (which will take 12 hours!) can I use my original activation key or does it come with a new one ? I see the downloads are a 30 day trial.

I will of course take your advice and take an image when I get it all clean and refreshed. What software would you recommend to do this ?

Thanks, Tim.

Thanks
    Yes you would use your original key. Wow, 12 hours. You must have a very slow connection!

If you have IE 10, that is a good suspect for causing your issue. You should be able to find it under CP, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates. When you uninstall IE 10, the previous version will be installed.

I use Acronis True Image 2013 for my Imaging needs. Others have had great success with Macrium Reflect.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-05-21 at 04:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I live in the Virgin Islands and our internet is very slow, my download speed is 0.8mbps !

I deleted IE10 last night and it was replaced by IE9. I tried the reinstall again but same problem. I will try deleting all the updates and try again.

If that fails, I am thinking about going for the Windows "Anytime Upgrade" option. I dont mind paying $80 to go from Home Premium to Pro. I dont need Pro
    but spending $80 sure beats spending the rest of my life re building my OS !!

Am I thinking right here, will this option be a non destructive reinstall / upgrade as per Freds guide ?

Thanks, Tim Brown.

Thanks
    Doing the Anytime Upgrade might be a good option. I would consider saving all your data, making a list of the apps you have and need, then doing a clean install. You would have to reinstall all apps, but this will give you a very pristine installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, Thanks for your replies. I need to know for definite if the "Anytime upgrade" will be a non destructive re install ??

I will of course save and note everything as you say, but as I said, I have already done a non destructive re-install last year
    and I am on a mission to do it successfully again !

I would just add that my OS lives on a small dedicated 64Gb SSD, there is nothing else on there. ALL my apps live on a separate
    600GB Velociraptor so does that make my apps safe if I do a clean re-install ?

Thanks, Tim Brown.
    Last edited by Tim Brown; 2013-05-22 at 21:20.