New Lounger
    Thanks

Kaspersky Rescue Disc will not boot my laptop

Hello
    I have a Dell Inspiron/ E1505 lap top and for some reason my Kaspersky rescue disc on USB flash drive will no longer boot up and run on this laptop. I used to have no problems booting Kaspersky Rescue disc from the flash drive but now it stops at the grub prompt and doesn't start Kaspersky Rescue disc.

The Kaspersky Rescue disc on the usb flash drive continues to boot and run correctly on our Toshiba laptop though.

I wonder if anybody might have any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like a path error problem. The execution of the grub configuration file sets the root folder on the device specified in the file. If its specified location doesn't match the actual physical location reported by the BIOS, grub can't proceed. There are known bugs related to certain BIOSes in this regard, but since you say it once worked, I would wonder if you've changed settings in your BIOS that have led to this behavior?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello
    I've looked through the bios to see if I've changed anything that may cause this problem but didn't notice anything. I think I even selected to return all bios settings to normal defaults. I'm going to go into the bios again and set everything to defaults just to be safe.

I wonder what changes in the bios could cause this problem?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I changed back to default settings in the bios and the Kaspersky Rescue disk on usb flash drive still stops at the Grub prompt when booting from it. It used to boot correctly and start the program but not now. It still starts the Toshiba laptop correctly though.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I changed my BIOS to boot from " USB hard drive ", and it worked for me

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd try creating a new USB with Kaspersky from that laptop and trying again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this same problem and was able to get the USB rescue disk booting with Yumi (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/). This is a separate Linux bootable USB creator which has the option to install KRD10. It also unpacks the iso for a quicker boot time.