New Lounger
    Thanks

XP latest download crashed my system.

A couples weeks ago I started up my old Dell x300 to look up some old files.
    It booted up to the sign in page. I got busy doing other things and let it sit most of the day. I went to turn it off later and it said updates were available so it started the usual process to update at this point I left the room, Returned a week or so later and tried to boot and got the usual Windows XP Logo and it tried to boot and tried and tried finally the screen went blank. Turned it off and started the process over and over and then tried the safe mode. got some driver data that appeared on the screen and the same thing, blank screen with the safe mode symbols on the screen.
    Finally found the original software cds for the computer tried to reinstall op system.
    Won't read the disk.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Moved your post to a more appropriate forum. Sounds like a hardware problem.
    Open the PC up, and blow out all the dust, especially from the CPU heatsink/fan assembly.
    Reseat the memory chips as well.
    Try a different power supply if you have access to one.

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

tmw5014 (2013-08-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    From what you have said, you have never had a good boot from the time (weeks or months ago) you saw the updates ready screen, is that correct?

First thing I would do is bring up the system's BIOS to determine if all the hardware can be seen by the BIOS. If the BIOS cannot see it, it's failing and probably needs replacement. If you cannot get to the BIOS let us know.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That is correct. How do I bring up the Bios?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that is why i keep all updates turned off

if its working
    dont fix it
    (or update it)

Quote Originally Posted by tmw5014 View Post
    A couples weeks ago I started up my old Dell x300 to look up some old files.
    It booted up to the sign in page. I got busy doing other things and let it sit most of the day. I went to turn it off later and it said updates were available so it started the usual process to update at this point I left the room, Returned a week or so later and tried to boot and got the usual Windows XP Logo and it tried to boot and tried and tried finally the screen went blank. Turned it off and started the process over and over and then tried the safe mode. got some driver data that appeared on the screen and the same thing, blank screen with the safe mode symbols on the screen.
    Finally found the original software cds for the computer tried to reinstall op system.
    Won't read the disk.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    At the first text on the screen or when the Dell logo appears, tap <F2> until the message "Entering Setup" appears.
    Note:
    Some older Dell computers use an alternate key sequence instead of to enter System Setup. These key sequences include:
    - Ctrl + Alt + Enter
    - Delete
    - Fn + F1 and
    - Fn + Esc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    that is why i keep all updates turned off

if its working
    dont fix it
    (or update it)
    If you can't do a Windows update, its not working.

Jerry

Thanks
    In one week, earlier this year, I had three service calls in one week, where a PC was inoperative.
    In every case, the problem was caused by a MS Update to XP.

I repaired all three PC's and then turned Auto Updates OFF. I've had no more calls on those PC's.
    Without any updates, they work just fine.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I've got XP in VM on two different machines, fully updated and fully functional. I also dual boot XP on my Latitude D800, and it's fully updated and fully functional.

Sometimes there are other hardware/software issues that cause updates to fail, not necessarily the updates themselves.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I have an old desktop running XP fully updated and fully functional. As I said before, in mu view if it won't run Windows Update, something is wrong and should be fixed. I've always been able to fix client XP machines that have Windows Update issues.

Jerry