Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StartIsBack 2.1

Thanks

StartIsBack 2.1

StartIsBack v2.1 became available May 15. Microsoft asked them to take the Windows Buttons out (they're available in a separate download). The price is still $3 for two PC's, and free if you already have a license.

--- edit --- If you're upgrading, you don't have to download the buttons; they're still in the StartIsBack folder in Program Files.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-05-20 at 21:42. Reason: info
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I especially like:
    Hot: Advanced option - Show taskbar on Start screen. Very useful on tablets! (from the site listing features).

Rich

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Somebody is reading my thoughts again:

Separate Desktop and Modern UI and make Start Screen clutter-free
    StartIsBack is the only tool which is able to provide consistency in Windows 8 by separating desktop and modern programs.
    Real work is done on desktop while new Start screen turns into launcher for modern apps only.
    Windows 8 forces you to organize new Start screen which can quickly become a long list of mess with automatically pinned programs.
    This is no longer the case with StartIsBack! If you turn Start screen into Apps screen, you won't have the pain to manage two Start places.
    The more separation there is I think, the better.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    [SIZE=3] [FONT=Georgia]StartIsBack v2.1 became available May 15. Microsoft asked them to take the Windows Buttons out (they're available in a separate download).
    "B",

Hello.... Looks just like the Vista setup (Tweak) which i have placed on my XP OS.... Don't have Windows 8 ( not very likely to ) so i can't try ...but would bet that it would work ... Reason being ...You can place windows "7" and Vista stuff on XP , and Vista stuff on "7" someone should try this... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Thanks for the link Bruce! I was surprised that I didn't get a notification or automatic update since I have it set Automatically check for new versions. So I just manually downloaded and installed it no problem and it still recognized that I had a paid copy.

I really like the Taskbar on second monitor and hot corners on both monitors feature, saves me a lot of mousing around!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Thanks for the link Bruce! I was surprised that I didn't get a notification or automatic update since I have it set Automatically check for new versions.
    I have it set to check for updates, too, but I didn't see the notification until the 20th. And I only saw that by going to the configuration screen to make some little change.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

StarDock Offer

Just got this email notification on special price for Start8 and ModernMix:

https://store.stardock.com/cart.aspx...%20May%20Promo

Rich

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All,

I know that I'm gonna take a "Woopin" for this post ....but "i gotta be me". You guys need to take a giant step back, and to listen to what you're saying... Sounds just like when "Mrs Crabtree brought a box of cupcakes for the children in her classroom".

Hooray!...Hooray!... the Start Button ...The Start Button!!! ...I just have made Windows "8" just like Windows "7". What's the point? Oh you say Windows 8 is so much more secure... etc, etc, Hey.... Ive run XP and Vista and 7 for years and don't even use MS security (my wife and i are avid internet researchers)...the only "problem" i ever had was "Me" ( my wife is much smarter than i) clicking on something that i shouldn't have. You can never protect an OS from the biggest security risk.... yourself!

MS just decided to jettison us "grandpa box" users for those who always have something plugged into their ears ( the new generation of PC users ) Touch screens for Desktops?? you must be joking.

If you think I'm "blowin smoke"... just go into some business's and take a look see what system their running... I still see XP everywhere...Just my thought ...Many simply must have the "latest and Greatest" and have fallen for all the MS hype...Windows 8 is destined be a failure with and for most people who use Desktops...It will be a non starter, and having to make it like a previous version is pointless.... Hurry now, i just heard that there is a free app that lets your toaster communicate with your refrigerator... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

I couldn't agree more. For my 4 machines 2 w/dual boot I bought exactly 1 copy of Win 8 Pro at the 39.00 upgrade price merely to see what it was about and to be able to answer questions here. I'm underwhelmed, it may be better under the hood but I can't confirm that. I, like your wife, keep the loose nut behind the keyboard pretty tight and don't go "where there be monsters!" I've never had a virus as a result and neither has my wife who does a lot of research like you guys.

I still much prefer the Windows 7 Aero interface it just looks nicer! Modern UI not so much I really don't want to reach out and touch my monitor and I can't reach it anyway. Touch on my Samsung GS2 and Kindle Fire HD...not thats great! YMMV.

Just put me down in that Old Fogey Category even though I was the one constantly pushing the new stuff when I was working. If I was still working I wouldn't be pushing Win 8, I'm just sayin'.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello All,

I know that I'm gonna take a "Woopin" for this post ....but "i gotta be me". You guys need to take a giant step back, and to listen to what you're saying... Sounds just like when "Mrs Crabtree brought a box of cupcakes for the children in her classroom".

Hooray!...Hooray!... the Start Button ...The Start Button!!! ...I just have made Windows "8" just like Windows "7". What's the point? Oh you say Windows 8 is so much more secure... etc, etc, Hey.... Ive run XP and Vista and 7 for years and don't even use MS security (my wife and i are avid internet researchers)...the only "problem" i ever had was "Me" ( my wife is much smarter than i) clicking on something that i shouldn't have. You can never protect an OS from the biggest security risk.... yourself!

MS just decided to jettison us "grandpa box" users for those who always have something plugged into their ears ( the new generation of PC users ) Touch screens for Desktops?? you must be joking.

If you think I'm "blowin smoke"... just go into some business's and take a look see what system their running... I still see XP everywhere...Just my thought ...Many simply must have the "latest and Greatest" and have fallen for all the MS hype...Windows 8 is destined be a failure with and for most people who use Desktops...It will be a non starter, and having to make it like a previous version is pointless.... Hurry now, i just heard that there is a free app that lets your toaster communicate with your refrigerator... Regards Fred
    You should not let the world you know to be confused with the world at large, Fred. Reality is much more complex than the one your words depict.

I would bet that the big majority of the 100 million Windows 8 licenses that were sold are running on desktops. Best tell those users that they are wrong and you, a non Windows 8 user are, of course, right. Funny, don't you think? Never stops surprising me how people can reclaim freedom for themselves while not allowing others the same.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    At this point I see it as making lemonade out of a lemon, Fred.

Not a very strong point ruirib, the 100 million sounds pretty good but it's WAY behind what might be expected by this time (I forgot if that number included RT?) and it does not represent systems in the wild, only the number of licences sold. That said, I would LOVE to sell 100 million of anything that made me even 10 cents per!!

Simpatico RG!
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-05-22 at 10:25.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You should not let the world you know to be confused with the world at large, Fred. Reality is much more complex than the one your words depict.
    Hi Rui,
    Yes you are correct... My common sense has always gotten me in-trouble ... I"m now going to change my Paradigm ... In the future i will no longer use my personal experience to jade my thoughts.. Starting now ....

1. I will embrace the ability to now be able to purchase a PC that i can remove the screen and pass it around to people that i don't know... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    At this point I see it as making lemonade out of a lemon, Fred.

Not a very strong point ruirib, the 100 million sounds pretty good but it's WAY behind what might be expected by this time (I forgot if that number included RT?) and it does not represent systems in the wild, only the number of licences sold. That said, I would LOVE to sell 100 million of anything that made me even 10 cents per!!

Simpatico RG!
    I didn't want to make a strong point. I just meant to say that, as Lounge members who do not like Windows 8 never stop stating, each computer owner is entitled to its own evaluation and opinion on Windows 8 and preaching to anyone on the merits / lack of Windows 8 on the desktop, is pointless. I could offer disagreement on specific points, but it would amount to nothing more than rekindling of may previous Lounge topics. I find it particularly amusing that someone who does not use Windows 8, decides to preach about its value as a desktop OS. It does provide a strong backing of the expressed point of view, doesn't it?

Live and let live, should be the motto. Grant others what you want for yourself. If you choose to run your OS of choice, why criticize other people's choices?

Consistency doesn't seem to be a strong point sometimes. It's probably my own fault to value it so much.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2013-05-23)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hi Rui,
    Yes you are correct... My common sense has always gotten me in-trouble ... I"m now going to change my Paradigm ... In the future i will no longer use my personal experience to jade my thoughts.. Starting now ....
    You know Fred, my common sense would prevent me to offer anecdotal evidence as proof of a purported general trend, but hey, to each his own. Did you know that, for some reason, the choice of the sample in polls is of the utmost importance for the credibility of the results?

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I didn't want to make a strong point. I just meant to say that, as Lounge members who do not like Windows 8 never stop stating, each computer owner is entitled to its own evaluation and opinion on Windows 8 and preaching to anyone on the merits / lack of Windows 8 on the desktop, is pointless. I could offer disagreement on specific points, but it would amount to nothing more than rekindling of may previous Lounge topics. I find it particularly amusing that someone who does not use Windows 8, decides to preach about its value as a desktop OS. It does provide a strong backing of the expressed point of view, doesn't it?
    Did you read what that got me for suggesting the user/OP with 6 months of experience with W8 had enough info to decide on his or her own? I think I was the only one who did not "preach." Also, I had four and a half months experience with Win8 before I dropped it; now because we're not using it, we no longer qualify to have a sound opinion on the matter? Has W8 changed that much in the last month and a half or so?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast