Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    OK. I booted into safemode, logged into DOS, and affected the file repair with the sfc /scannow command. It reported back some minutes later that some files had been successfully repaired. That's a relief. Now we can eliminate the possibility of a damaged OS, I think. Only time will tell with that one.
    To See and Read the SFC /SCANNOW Scan Results: **should be the same for Vista**
    NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG. This will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in the CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    Type the above in elevated command prompt for details from the CBS.LOG.

Go to Start > Run and type: eventvwr.msc /s , and hit enter.
    When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll
    down to "Winlogon"or "Wininit" and double-click on it.

In Windows 7 after you run chkdsk, open the Event Viewer and navigate to Windows Logs / Application.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-24)

Thanks
    Ibex: As you can tell from reading all of the above, there are many possible causes for what is happening with your computer.

I often take what I call a "kitchen sink" approach to these problems -- I throw everything at it but the kitchen sink, and then if I'm still having a problem, I throw the kitchen sink at it. You will probably fix it with one or more of the things you do.

In your case, my best guess is that something is messed up in Windows. I'll bet your 283 GB drive is old, whereas the 1.5 TB drive is a lot newer. It's also possible that you simply don't have enough space on your primary hard drive, or that the drive is going bad.

Here's what I would consider doing, if I were in your situation:

I would back up the data that's on the 1.5 TB hard drive. I would then install that drive as the only drive in the computer. I would then install Windows 7 or 8 on the computer -- a clean install, which will wipe the drive clean in the process.

By doing the above, you will accomplish several things:

* If the problem was caused by a bad hard drive, not enough space on the hard drive, or a fragmented hard drive, it is likely that you will have fixed the problem, since you moved to a much newer (and bigger) drive. Also, you now have greatly increased the time that you have till the next drive failure, since you are now using a much newer drive.

* If Windows was somehow messed up, the clean install will have fixed that problem.

Once you have done the above, be sure to install a good anti-malware program. I know you know this, but I'm just making sure.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-05-24 at 16:15.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-24)

Thanks
    Thank you for your suggestions, mrjimphelps. They certainly are worth considering. Vista corrupts easily, I've found. I have reinstalled it once before, but it was a nightmare. It took me quite a while to get the reinstallation right. For some reason there were bits missing such as vital drivers. I got it all right in the end though. I wish I could remember everything I did, but I don't. Reinstalling Vista is a very last resort.

However, taking heed of what you and others have stated, I am leaning towards a hardware issue because the same sorts of problems keep re-emerging. I am thinking a possible power supply or hard drive malfunction. I have already been in the process of backing up my important folders and files. The easiest thing for me to do at this point is to defragment my hard drive and to get a new supply and install it. (Power supplies are cheap.) If the problems persist after that, then it would point at my main hard drive.
    The key to wisdom is knowing all the right questions.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions, mrjimphelps. They certainly are worth considering. Vista corrupts easily, I've found. I have reinstalled it once before, but it was a nightmare. It took me quite a while to get the reinstallation right. For some reason there were bits missing such as vital drivers. I got it all right in the end though. I wish I could remember everything I did, but I don't. Reinstalling Vista is a very last resort.

However, taking heed of what you and others have stated, I am leaning towards a hardware issue because the same sorts of problems keep re-emerging. I am thinking a possible power supply or hard drive malfunction. I have already been in the process of backing up my important folders and files. The easiest thing for me to do at this point is to defragment my hard drive and to get a new supply and install it. (Power supplies are cheap.) If the problems persist after that, then it would point at my main hard drive.
    I cannot state that your hardware is ok, but I find a bit surprising that you are willing to spend money before even checking what is happening when your system is unresponsive. How many programs have you running? How much memory are they using? What percentage of CPU are they using and which ones use it the most? What programs are using the disk when the system gets unresponsive? All these questions, which can provide good indications as to what causes your system to slowdown, can be answered by use of a tool as simple as the Resource Manager.
    Also, your defragmentation took hours to complete - this is an indication of high fragmentation, which can contribute to the slowdown. There are so many things to try before going through the hardware replacement path...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have access to another computer with a web connection, I would download the ISO file for Ubuntu Linux from ubuntu.com and burn it to a DVD using the burning software's Burn an Image option. I use the free CDBurnerXP Pro from cdburnerxp.se. The burned disc can be used as a boot disc that runs Ubuntu from the disc or can install Ubuntu. Remember that the PC's BIOS has to have the CD/DVD drive set as the first boot device in order to be able to boot from a disc. It can be left at that setting with the hard drive next, because it will only boot from a disc if there is one in the drive. I would use it to run its Firefox browser to get on the web, which it should be able to do by using a wireless or wired connection. You can use one of the free online virus scanners such as Trend Micro on http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/index.html or run some of its apps. If the computer works properly, you know that Vista is hosed and either has to be repaired or the drive has to be formatted and a clean installation performed. Here is a webpage the provides all of the recovery methods for Vista:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Recov...dows-Vista.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same maddening problems for months with my Dell Vista Pro machine. White screens, hangups and around mid-May, random failures to find the boot drive. My bios also took forever to finish, and I would end up with the black screen and forever blinking cursor. I bought an add-on video card that didnt help, so I removed it. I bought a heftier 450W power supply thinking the addon card was dragging down the PS. While waiting for the PS to arrive, I received a rather large Vista update from MS that seemed to fix everything. My Dell is now faster than when I bought it, and no more white windows. This major update not only kept my machine awake during shutdown, it continued the next day after starting Vista. I reinstalled the video card, and it still worked great. When the PS finally arrived, I switched that in. I wonder if an earlier MS update broke my machine, and the last one fixed it, or a new MS malicious scanner included in the update found something, as it never reports results. Maybe you don't have updates turned on, or have it set to manual. It sure surprised me the next day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12