Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Something's seriously wrong with Vista machine: But what?

I've posted this as a potential Vista problem, but frankly I don't know that for sure. Thereís something very wrong with my computer, but I donít know what. Now every time I start my machine it crashes at least once, sometimes twice before I can get it working moderately well. I donít know just whatís wrong. It is running slowly and it doesn't take much to overwehlm the machine and get a fogged or hazed screen. This has been going on for about a week.

I did have a trojan virus called Trojan.Maljava on the machine. It would have been there for almost a week before I found it via a routine scan. I donít know if this filthy program did any damage though. (Iíd love to get my hands on some of the creeps who create such malicious codes.)
    Apart from a scan for malicious code, I did a Ccleaner clean up of the machine. None of this has helped.

I have several questions:
    (i) Just how do I find out exactly what is wrong with the machine?
    (ii) If my Vista OS has been damaged somehow, how can I verify that?
    (iii) I have also tried to reload my browser, but I canít because I get the message that I already have it. I want to reload it all the same, just in case it is playing a part in the problems. How do I do that?
    (iv) I have two hard drives in the machine. The Main one has a capacity of 283 GB, of which 67 GB is free. The other drive is of 2 TB, of which 1.5 TB is free. Might it be that the computerís slowness is due to the Main drive being so full?

So there we have it. Can anybody please give me some clues as to a solution?

Thanks for your time and patience.
    The key to wisdom is knowing all the right questions.

John A. Simone, Sr.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I've posted this as a potential Vista problem, but frankly I don't know that for sure. There’s something very wrong with my computer, but I don’t know what. Now every time I start my machine it crashes at least once, sometimes twice before I can get it working moderately well. I don’t know just what’s wrong.

(i) Just how do I find out exactly what is wrong with the machine?
    (ii) If my Vista OS has been damaged somehow, how can I verify that?
    Can anybody please give me some clues as to a solution?
    Ibex,
    Hello... Problems like this are difficult to pin down ...Best approach is to start simple ..This is how i would proceed ....( also when it "Crashes" is there a blue screen, or message?)

1. From an elevated command prompt (Running as an Administrator) input ..."sfc /scannow" ..No quotes and space after sfc...This will run System File Checker...and repair any missing or corrupt files...

2. After the "sfc scan" run a scan with Malwarebytes and it's other free program Chameleon ...Follow instructions ,then post back your results Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-21 at 07:25.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-21)

Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    Thanks for your response. When the screen hazes, it's like a semi-transparent white fog and the machine will not accept any keystrokes when this happens, usually. The haze, I think, seems to be a warning that the machine has bitten off more than it can chew at that particular moment and needs several minutes to recuperte. Attempting to key anything in during such a phase causes a total lock-up. I already have an antiviral and anti-spyware program installed called "PC Tools Spyware Doctor." Is there a chance that running Malwarebytes or Chameleon is going to cause a clash and affect results?

John A. Simone, Sr.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    Thanks for your response. When the screen hazes, it's like a semi-transparent white fog and the machine will not accept any keystrokes when this happens, usually. Is there a chance that running Malwarebytes or Chameleon is going to cause a clash and affect results?

Ibex,

Hello... The "Fog" and screen freeze is a "Lockup", can be caused by your graphics Software \Driver\Settings.. Do you have NVIDIA for you graphics?

As far as a conflict between Malwarebytes and your "security" ....No as the free version of Malwarebytes you run scans manually ... I can only say that from my experience there are no problems running Malwarebytes and any other security (that i have heard of). Many on this forum use it without problems. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-23)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Hi Fred,
    Thanks for your response. When the screen hazes, it's like a semi-transparent white fog and the machine will not accept any keystrokes when this happens, usually. The haze, I think, seems to be a warning that the machine has bitten off more than it can chew at that particular moment and needs several minutes to recuperte. Attempting to key anything in during such a phase causes a total lock-up. I already have an antiviral and anti-spyware program installed called "PC Tools Spyware Doctor." Is there a chance that running Malwarebytes or Chameleon is going to cause a clash and affect results?
    If CPU is working almost at 100% and other critical system components such as disk are at or near 100%, Windows explorer and other apps can become unresponsive and the screen will look dimmed, which I think is what you are describing. I would feel inclined to agree with your assessment that the machine is handling more than it can chew.

It would be interesting to find out what is causing it. Trying to get Vista's resource monitor to show up what is going on and finding culprits would probably be my first move. Here is how you could you use it: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...e-monitor.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-23)

Thanks
    It sounds like one problem is too much is starting with Windows and running in the background. It seems all apps believe they need to start with Windows. Just ain't so.

I would use either What's In Startup (very simple to use app), or Autoruns for Windows (more complex) to see just what is starting, then eliminate most of what's starting.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-23)

Thanks
    Hi Fred, I typed in the sfc /scannow, but the computer doesn't even recognise it. It does nothing.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Thanks
    Hi Fred, I typed in the sfc /scannow, but the computer doesn't even recognise it. It does nothing.
    I looks to me like your OS is seriously hosed, or very close to it.

Did you open an elevated command prompt?
    Boot into safemode and repeat.

Also run the AV/AM Fred suggested, along with the WhatInStartup app that Medico suggested, all while your in safemode too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-23)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ibex,
    Hello... You need to "Right click" on the "Command Prompt" Icon (see my previous screen shot #2 ) and "Run As Administrator", or it won't work. Make sure that you input the command with space after "sfc" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-23 at 07:16.
    PlainFred

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-23)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll agree this is hard to diagnose, but I think it's a hardware problem. Just thinking about a son-in-law's problem (also a desktop) awhile back that would freeze occasionally; and not long after start up. I don't remember what made me think to try it, but I replaced the power supply with an extra I had and that solved the problem, a bit to my surprise. It helps to have some spare parts laying around. The thing is, in this case, I don't see where any report or notification you may read will tell you it's a power supply, hard drive, or motherboard problem.
    Last edited by rje49; 2013-05-23 at 10:36.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rje49 For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-23)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rje49 View Post
    I don't see where any report or notification you may read will tell you it's a power supply
    rje,
    Hello... There is a program Hardware Monitor Free 1.22 that will tell you what your Power Supply is up to ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-05-23),rje49 (2013-05-23)

Thanks
    OK. I booted into safemode, logged into DOS, and affected the file repair with the sfc /scannow command. It reported back some minutes later that some files had been successfully repaired. That's a relief. Now we can eliminate the possibility of a damaged OS, I think. Only time will tell with that one.

I downloaded Melwarebytes and its Chameleon and they did a thorough check of the machine. They found a bunch of cookies which I eliminated, and nothing else. So I can forget about anymore malicious code being on the machine.

It has also been suggested by you people that I may have a defective power supply. That might explain a few things. I'll investigate that next.

I also want to discuss refragmenting (or is that "defragmenting") my hard drive. I did attempt it a while back, but it ran for hours and I had to eventually turn the machine off. With large hard drives, refragmenting seems a bit impractical. Is it possible to refragment in stages? Does that work, or must it be done in one fell swoop?
    Last edited by Ibex; 2013-05-23 at 14:42.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I also want to discuss refragmenting (or is that "defragmenting") my hard drive. I did attempt it a while back, but it ran for hours and I had to eventually turn the machine off. With large hard drives, refragmenting seems a bit impractical. Is it possible to refragment in stages? Does that work, or must it be done in one fell swoop?
    It is defragmenting. Even in not so larger drives, it can take some time. You can stop it, though, and if you do get back to it in a short time, most of the previous defragmenting won't be lost. You can also leave it to complete overnight.

I still think you should check what is running and the usage level for resources such as CPU, disk and RAM.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Defragmenting shouldn't take that long. My 1.5TB, using Auslogics Defragmenter, only takes about 10 minutes. I'll guess yours is taking so long for the same reason as your other problems. I'm still guessing hard drive or perhaps the power supply unit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rje49 View Post
    Defragmenting shouldn't take that long. My 1.5TB, using Auslogics Defragmenter, only takes about 10 minutes. I'll guess yours is taking so long for the same reason as your other problems. I'm still guessing hard drive or perhaps the power supply unit.
    If no defragmenting was done before, the level of fragmentation can be high and it will take a lot more time. It is not as simple as you state.

I stopped using my defragmenter for a long time. When I started using it again, the whole operation took about a day.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast