Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Linking one footnote to another

I am working on a very large document (>250 pages) with many footnotes (>500). This is a work in progress, i. e., it will change several times before a final version is attained. During that editing process, footnotes may be added and/or deleted. I know there is a way to "dynamically" link footnotes so that regardless of changes, the reference will always be correct.

For example, assume I am working on draft #1 of the document, and in footnote 135, I would like to say "See n 106 supra." However, in draft # 2, I have eliminated several footnotes both before and after footnote 106 and 135. How do I "link" the old footnote 135 (which may now be, sat footnote 132) to the old footnote 106 (which may now be footnote 89) in draft #2?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. In the footnote, use the Insert > Cross-reference dialog box and choose Footnote as the Reference type. Select the footnote you want to link to and the type of reference (typically, Footnote number). When you click Insert, Word will add a NOTEREF field code.

This will work in any view, but it may be easier to manage if you go into the Draft view first, and then use References > Footnotes > Show Notes to split the screen to show the footnotes all grouped together in the lower split window.

Unlike many other field codes, updating this type of cross-reference (press F9) will cause a confirmation dialog warning that the action can't be undone. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't seem to create a problem -- other than requiring the field codes to be re-updated after subsequent edits alter the footnote numbering again. (Easily done by Ctrl-A (to Select All) and pressing F9 again.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Eric.