Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The fact that GoDaddy notified you of the domain being unlocked (and thus able to be transferred) and you did nothing will probably be their out. They notified you.

How the culprits managed to get it unlocked is the curious part. I would suspect impersonation and using some sort of lost password thing. But obviously a total lack of care on GoDaddys part. Lifting a domain thats not locked is much easier.

GoDaddy uses a non-standard interface and process. I transferred a friends domain off GoDaddy and it took a bit of digging to find how. The help files did not tell you how to leave. I refuse to use GoDaddy. For reasons others mention but also because they encourage a lot of the hostage domain activity and spam sites that crosslink each other but have no value except Google Ad revenue. I can think of a long list of issues actually. Crap on the web is commonly hosted by them.

Don't know what to suggest on the stolen domain other than contacting ICANN. A Youtube video exposing GoDaddy would not be a bad idea also. I had no idea this was going on with locked domains. But I would definitely move my domains to a more reputable registrar. Who wants to support organizations that abuse their customers and their market space?

Here's the ICANN page that seems to cover this:
    http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/tdrp

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW - I'd have your computer thoroughly checked for spyware. Use a couple of well respected online tools like ESET's to get other "opinions". There is the possibility they got your password that way. Then unlocking and transferring is easy.

Although its possible they've hacked GoDaddy and use that to take domains for customers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great Link, Brett. Thanks for sharing.
    The key difference here - the 2nd registrar cooperated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I'm with the Internet Society in New York. We are an at-large structure within ICANN

I noticed your tale of woe and forwarded it to the North American At Large Regional Organization (NARALO).

Alan Greenberg of the ICANN At-Large Advisory Committee asks that, if the problem has not been resolved, you get in touch with him directly.

He is at alan.greenberg (at) mcgill.ca

Regards

Joly MacFie.
    Last edited by wwwhatsup; 2013-06-13 at 23:19.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wwwhatsup For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-06-14)

Thanks
    For what it's worth, my family business has used BlueHost for a few years, with no problems. Renewal is automatic and the domain has remained secure. BlueHost uses several types of authentication apparently not applied as standard defaults by GoDaddy. Just my own experience, but the link to the blog in Post #9 in this thread also references BlueHost and implies their security is better than GoDaddy.

wwwhatsup (Post # 19) seems to be offering a good path toward solving this isue, and that offer should be followed in this case.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    The fact that GoDaddy notified you of the domain being unlocked (and thus able to be transferred) and you did nothing will probably be their out. They notified you.

How the culprits managed to get it unlocked is the curious part. I would suspect impersonation and using some sort of lost password thing. But obviously a total lack of care on GoDaddys part. Lifting a domain thats not locked is much easier.

GoDaddy uses a non-standard interface and process. I transferred a friends domain off GoDaddy and it took a bit of digging to find how. The help files did not tell you how to leave. I refuse to use GoDaddy. For reasons others mention but also because they encourage a lot of the hostage domain activity and spam sites that crosslink each other but have no value except Google Ad revenue. I can think of a long list of issues actually. Crap on the web is commonly hosted by them.

Don't know what to suggest on the stolen domain other than contacting ICANN. A Youtube video exposing GoDaddy would not be a bad idea also. I had no idea this was going on with locked domains. But I would definitely move my domains to a more reputable registrar. Who wants to support organizations that abuse their customers and their market space?

Here's the ICANN page that seems to cover this:
    http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/tdrp
    Try to make your Youtube video as funny as possible, so that it will go viral.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I purchased two domain names in 2006 through GoDaddy, but I hated their user interface, and their advertising, and transferred out of there to Blue Host within a month. The transfer went smoothly, I still have one of the domains parked, but as part of my hosting package, Blue Host pays for that domains registration and I pay for the one I use. Their security is good, I have always found them responsive either via messaging or when calling and every issue (and there have only been a couple, early on) I had was handled with one phone call. And GoDaddy still makes me ill...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is becoming obvious that standard password protected websites have an increasing level of risk. GoDaddy.com has a two-step verification that seems to work well and might prevent domain thefts that require access to your account. Generally, two-step verification requires a phone number that will be sent a unique code for each time you want access to the account. After hearing the horror stories for important websites, including G-mail, I decided it was worth the increased inconvenience. You may wish to look into it for your account (and any other important account you do not want hi-jacked). A noted technology writer, Mat Honan, has this harrowing story of his own experience and what he did to restore his digital identity. See http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...honan-hacking/.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm just curious: are you still doing business with GoDaddy?

If so, why?

I've been with 1and1.com for years with negligible problems, all of which were immediately resolved with just a phone call.

AL

Thanks
    Some of my domains have been on GoDaddy for over 7 years with nary a single, solitary problem whatsoever. <-shrug-> I'm just saying.

(Also have some with Register.com for over 12 years now, also with never a single problem).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allowe View Post
    I'm just curious: are you still doing business with GoDaddy?

If so, why?

I've been with 1and1.com for years with negligible problems, all of which were immediately resolved with just a phone call.

AL
    1and1 has not given me any problems either but they are getting expensive for domain names, going up to $14.99/year now. I am looking to move some I am siting on but GoDaddy certainly isn't going to be on my list.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post

... but GoDaddy certainly isn't going to be on my list.
    Know that feeling. Toyota couldn't pay me to own one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Toyota couldn't pay me to own one.
    Own one what? We weren't talking about Toyota here, were we?
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Sure hope not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Sure hope not.
    I know the Toyota comment just a joke, but my 2005 used Prius has been no joke. Even with two Recall scares (both not found to be an issue in my vehicle) at over 170,000 miles, this little car does just fine. The Hybrid Battery is working well, and I can't argue with 47 miles to the US Gallon in city driving. FWIW, it's the gas-only Toyotas from the early 2001-2010 period which had the serious safety recalls.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-06-23 at 14:57.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast