New Lounger
    Thanks

IE10 has stopped working

This is my husband's computer with Win 7 professional, x64 and IE10. Has been working fine until this morning. Click on IE10 to open and get box with message that a "problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if is a solutions is available." I click on close program and next box says windows is checking for a solution. It them pops back to the first message. These 2 boxes cycle over and over.

Here is what I have done so far:
    cleared history, temp files and cookies
    update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - found 1 trojan, deleted it
    remove add-ons, ask.com and bing is all I found and uninstalled them
    went to Advanced tab, clicked on "restore advanced settings" and clicked on "reset"

still can't get IE to work. I'm willing to reinstall IE or even Chrome but how do you get to them if I can't get a browser window to open? I'm only slightly tech literate and totally confused! Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Try a System Restore to a date earlier than yesterday.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, I restored to the earliest date listed which was 5/21/13 at 3:17am. And while the message doesn't pop up immediately like it did before, it does still come up. Hence IE still will not open. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks
    If the restore didn't help, restore back to the current date.

Then try Control Panel > programs and features > click on view installed updates

When the window of installed updates fills, scroll down to the Microsoft windows category and you should see IE 10
    Right click on it and click on uninstall.

This should bring back IE 9. Verify that IE 9 works. if it does, reinstall IE10.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

terrinm (2013-05-22)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by terrinm View Post
    I'm willing to reinstall IE or even Chrome but how do you get to them if I can't get a browser window to open? I'm only slightly tech literate and totally confused! Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!
    You'll have to "sneaker" net Chrome or Firefox over on a USB thumb drive or the equivalent from a system with a working browser. The standalone installer link to Chrome is here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

terrinm (2013-05-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It worked! kind of.....

I uninstalled 10 and 9 works. So I reinstalled 10 and went back to my original error messages. Uninstalled 10 again and 9 works.
    So for now I'll just keep it at 9 I suppose. Unless you have something I should try to get 10 to work? I'm guessing 10 has better security and that's what he really should be using?

FUN thanks for the "sneaker" link, had no idea there was such a thing I've installed Chrome for a backup but getting him to change isn't easy......

Thank you both so much for the quick help! It's much appreciated!

Terri

Administrator
    Thanks
    Addons are often a cause of IE instability. Did you try running IE10 with addons disabled?

Joe