New Lounger
    Thanks

Question which version to buy - win7 or win8 desktop?

I have a dilemma.
    I am planning to buy a new computer very soon.
    I own a 4 year old Gateway mini tower, originally win 7 - which I upgraded to Win 8 six months ago, because of the low cost ($40.00) option.
    Although the win8 seems to be more stable - no more blue page crashes, I don't like the dual nature of win8, and actually I only use it in the Desktop mode.

My dilemma is this - should I buy a new win8 and use it as I do now, with the desktop and all the old software I will transfer, old should I buy a win7.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks, Amos

Thanks
    Just use one of the Start Button utilities for Windows 8 like Classic Shell or Start is Back and you can set it up to boot to the desktop as well as remove the hot spots and you will have a hard time telling Win 8 from Win 7 and enjoy a more modern OS.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You already have the knowledge to make that decision. Six months is enough time to know.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN Downtown - If I wanted sarcasm, I would not have asked

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That was not sarcasm, unless you haven't been using Win8 for the past 6 months...which I wouldn't have knowledge of either. I personally lasted 4.5 months before making my decision.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

aalakos (2013-05-22)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aalakos View Post
    FUN Downtown - If I wanted sarcasm, I would not have asked
    To give FUN the benefit of the doubt, he may not have appreciated that you presented a real trade-off: personal experience with improved stability vs. an interface which you prefer. Unfortunately, I don't have the personal experience with Win 7 and Win 8 to say whether or not Win 7 is normally (e.g., likely on the new hardware you're considering, which may be quite different in this regard than your Gateway is) about as stable (blue-screen-free) as Win 8 is - I've heard competent people assert that it is in their experience, but Microsoft would certainly like you to believe that Win 8 is superior in this regard and I have no way to say whether any such superiority that may exist is sufficiently significant to influence your decision (perhaps others here can and will offer their opinions).

I know I'd pick Win 7 in a heartbeat if it were even reasonably stable on my target hardware and available at a price fairly comparable to Win 8's (well, it would also be nice if its support lasted to 2023 like Win 8's rather than 'only' to 2020, but that's probably not that big an issue in practice given the likelihood that I'll be running something else before 2020 anyway), but that's just a personal preference (though it seems similar to your own): there's just nothing in Win 8 that I care about (faster booting is the closest it comes to that, but part of that is achieved by the 'fast startup' option which doesn't leave the machine working the way I want it to) and several things that annoy me.

One thought does occur to me, though: did you perform a 'clean install' of Win 8 on your Gateway (saving nothing from your Win 7 system) or upgrade your Win 7 system in place to Win 8? The former would almost certainly improve stability all by itself given the crud that accumulates on a 4-year-old system that can impair its functioning, and even the latter MIGHT improve stability somewhat by refreshing/replacing parts of the system that might have been compromised (though others have had the opposite experience: that performing anything BUT a 'clean install' can leave the result a bit flaky) - thus unfairly skewing your perception of their relative stability.

Thanks
    As Jerry has stated. with a Start Menu add-on for Win 8, you will be hard pressed to tell that Win 8 is running instead of Win 7. Choose to jump automatically to the desktop where you spend all your time presently and choose to disable the hot corners on the desktop, unless of course you use this feature, and you will never have to go to the Start Screen, unless of course you choose to. With Win 7 you will not have this choice. I anticipate more useable apps coming out for Win 8 as time goes on.

I would definitely choose Win 8!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aalakos View Post
    I have a dilemma.
    I am planning to buy a new computer very soon.
    I own a 4 year old Gateway mini tower, originally win 7 - which I upgraded to Win 8 six months ago, because of the low cost ($40.00) option.
    Although the win8 seems to be more stable - no more blue page crashes, I don't like the dual nature of win8, and actually I only use it in the Desktop mode.

My dilemma is this - should I buy a new win8 and use it as I do now, with the desktop and all the old software I will transfer, old should I buy a win7.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks, Amos
    To me, the choice is obvious - go with Windows 8. You have been using it, seems it presents no difficulties that you haven't overcome already. It is the most secure Windows version, it is the version where any changes that can occur will occur, it is expected that the non desktop part can evolve and there may be Metro apps offered that can be of interest. If you think you have use for a start button, Jerry's advice above can really help.

It would be different if you had no experience with 8. You do, and it is even more stable than Windows 7, so it would be a no brainer for me.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I am using Windows 8 with StartIsBack ($3 for a 2-PC license) and the Start Screen (Windows 8 Apps) is there if I want it, but otherwise I never see it. In this configuration It's more like Windows 7 Service Pack 2. I also dual boot Windows 7, but as I get more of my programs installed in Windows 8, I'm visiting Windows 7 less and less.

Personally, I see no stability enhancement in Windows 8, since I've never had any stability issues with Windows 7. But the only thing left for Windows 7 from Microsoft are security updates; there's a Service Pack coming in the next couple of months for Windows 8, and perhaps additional improvements in the pipeline.

It makes sense to go with the newer OS. The fluff and glitter can be trimmed out of the way easily enough.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some questions:

1. Will you buy the new computer as a complete system or do you plan to assemble it from components? Most retailers are only selling new systems with Win 8.

2. Do you plan to keep your old system or dispose of it? If you are not keeping it, you can uninstall Win 8 from the old system and install it on the new one. The $40 license key allows such a transfer provided you have Win XPSP3 or later on the new system.

3. I would wait to see what M$ does with Win 8.1 AKA Windows Blue. The betting is they will restore the Start button and allow booting straight to the Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advise - I upgraded to Win8 - which may be the reason I am not very pleased with win8. The fact is, I like the old windows controls, where i can re-size them as I please, etc., and I use the computer only in desktop mode. I am starting to lean towards going back to win7, as I see no clear advantage for win8, with the exception that I won't get any useful updates from Microsoft.