5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving a mail merge.

Because we have to use small envelopes, which Office doesn't recognize, I am having to create labels. I have to send test bars out regularly, and this information needs to be on the envelope. I have created a mail merge for data in an Access database, which gives me just the records I need, but this changes from day to day. What I don't know is, how to save the template, with the mail merge set up, so I don't have to create it again later. The data is from a table in Access, which is created by a 'make table' query, which I run to print the required labels. So, one day I could be printing say record 5554 to 5558, and the next day 5559 to 5565.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi robm,

You should save the mailmerge main document without any filtering. Instead, add a field to it (before the first data field) coded as follows:
    {SKIPIF{={IF{MERGEFIELD LblID \# 0}<{FILLIN "First label to include." \o} 1 0}*{IF{MERGEFIELD LblID \# 0}>{FILLIN "Last label to include." \o} 1 0}}= 1}
    where LblID is the label ID field's name.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created in the body of the document via Ctrl-F9 (Cmd-F9 on a Mac) - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

With the above field, you'll be prompted for the first and last label #s each time you do a merge.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks macropod. I'm getting it half right. It doesn't ask me the first and last label when I run the merge, but if I right click on the field, and select 'update field', it then asks me for the first label, and then the last label. I typed it in exactly as you, replacing LbllD with Serial_No, which is the field containing required labels.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sure all the field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created in the body of the document via Ctrl-F9?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Should this be populated into the other labels? Do spaces matter in your example?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some of the spaces are critical and, without them, the fields won't work. Having more spaces won't hurt, though.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my labels, I want Serial No, HT Release, Test Piece ID, Test Type. Do these need to be added in the brace pairs, or should they work if they are added after? I put the code in as you explained, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I link it to the database table, it first says Serial_No isn't a valid field name, but changing it to Serial No, doesn't work either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is only one field you should be testing in the SKIPIF field - whatever field it is that has the label IDs. As I don't have access to your data, I can't tell you what the correct field name is.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]