3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How many .Net Frameworks do I need?

I have a desktop that still has XP installed (for hardware compatibility), and I'm having problems running one program. The support people say that I should have only ,Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed. I have .Net Framework 1, .Net Framework 2, .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, .Net Framework CRT, .Net Framework CA, .Net Framework ASP, .Net Framework CLR, .Net Framework 3.0 SP2 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1. Seems like over-kill to me. However, if I try to uninstall any them I get, "This update cannot be removed."

Do I need ALL of these? If not how can I get rid of them?

Any light much appreciated.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    David,

To the best of my knowledge you don't need any. You can actually uninstall them all and then when a program you need calls for one just install the version you need. This could be a pain though. I know when I installed PowerShell 3.0 I had to install and upgrade .Net 4. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    One of the goals of .Net was to end what was known as DLL hell, so you can have multiple versions of .net and they are totally compatible with each other, meaning they can all coexist without causing any troubles. In fact, in your scenario, you could only get rid of .net 1.1, as 3.5 actually requires 2.0 to be installed. It's weird that whoever created that program is stating that you should have only 3.5.
    If you check the download page for .net 3.5 SP1, you can easily confirm what I wrote: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=22

What error message are you getting?

P.S.: On my desktop I have 2.0 SP2, 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5 installed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. There is no error message. The program is Identity Cloaker which provides a secure Internet connection, everything is encrypted which I use all the time when travelling. Sometimes it won't connect with the secure servers. The support is very responsive, but for this problem the only suggestion has been remove .Net except for 3.5 SP1. Have sent on your message Ruirib, haven't had a response yet.

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Further to my last... I just got a reply from ID Cloaker. An "exception report" sent to them said in part:

Unable to load DLL 'msctf.dll': A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

So maybe that .dll is corrupt, but only sometimes??? Is there a way to replace it using the XP setup disk?

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    The dll cannot be corrupt some times and ok other times. I really don't know whether that dll is part of .net or not.

I suppose you can try to cleanup your .net setup. If you want to do that, there is a specific tool available: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...8/8904493.aspx

If you do that, you will have to reinstall .net. If you do, once the cleanup is completed, install .net 2.0 SP2 and then 3.5 SP1.

Before going into this, I would ask support to confirm if the dll is part of the .net. If you keep system images, taking an image before doing any removal or reinstall is highly recommended.
    Rui
    -------
    R4