New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows in Win 7 won't stay scrolled

Win 7 has begun to behave very strangely, for no apparent reason. If I try to scroll down with the down arrow in Win 7 Explorer, the window scrolls down a small amount then goes back up. If I stay clicking on the arrow, the window keeps moving down a bit, then going back up, over and over, until I release the arrow. If I pull a scroll bar down to the bottom of the window with my mouse, the window goes back up while I keep the mouse on the scroll bar. When I release the mouse, the window scrolls down once, then goes back up. If I page down, the same thing happens - the window initially scrolls down, then scrolls back up again.
    This happens if I scroll down in the favorites window in IE, but not when I am looking at a web page.
    I have restarted Windows, which didn't help. I have done a system restore to a point before the most recent Windows updates were installed, which didn't help. I have swapped both my mouse and my keyboard. A Google search didn't turn up any hints.
    This behavior seems to be confined to Windows. Word documents, for example, scroll properly (although there are other Word problems, see below). Various programs I have tried all scroll properly.
    Any suggestions for what might be causing this, and how to resolve it, would be greatly appreciated.
    (Also, hitting the shift key in a Word document in Outline View makes the document scroll to the right. Shift behaves normally in Print View. This started at the same time, so is probably related?)
    Thanks for any suggestions, Richard
    Last edited by raspencer; 2013-05-22 at 18:48.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For anyone who is interested, this problem went away as mysteriously as it developed. It is now completely resolved, and I still have no idea what caused it in the first place, or why or how it cured itself. Richard

Thanks
    iPoltergeists

Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    In certain instances in Windows 7, when you are in My Computer, and you click on a folder, that folder will jump up (or down). I have read that this was intentionally done by Microsoft.

I haven't seen it yet in Windows 8. If I don't, that will be another reason I will be glad I made the switch to 8.

Thanks
    I also have not seen this in Win 8. I did see it a few times in Win 7. No idea what caused it. With the Start Menu add-on apps, disabling the hot corners plus booting directly to the Desktop, these type of weird problems also make me even more happy with Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I also have not seen this in Win 8. I did see it a few times in Win 7. No idea what caused it. With the Start Menu add-on apps, disabling the hot corners plus booting directly to the Desktop, these type of weird problems also make me even more happy with Win 8.
    Once I installed StartIsBack, Windows 8 became for me Windows 7 with all of the quirks and bugs fixed, except for the rare and unexplained foray into the "metro" interface (i.e. "lala land"). But I can instantly get back to the desktop interface, so I don't even notice it.