Lounger
    Thanks

A Do It Yourself Win8 Start button

Hereís another way to get the Start button back in Win8 if you donít mind a little DIY. Some people might even enjoy the accomplishment.

This trick involves Windows ubiquitous and mysterious CLSIDs. Thereís one for a fully functional Start button. As always you need to enter the string exactly as given.

To begin, right-click a blank area on Win8ís desktop (not the start screen) and choose New Ė Shortcut. In the Location of the Item field type exactly:
    explorer.exe shell:::{2559A1F8-21D7-11D4-BDAF-00C04F60B9F0} and click Next. In the Name field change explorer.exe to Start (or anything else that strikes your fancy) and click Finish.

Since the resulting icon is the usual blah icon for new icons you can change it. Right-click the new icon, click Properties, then Change icon, then Browse and navigate to any of a number of DLLs that contain icons, all in C:\Windows\System32: imageres, Moreicons, Shell32, DDORes, GameUX, or any other. Once finding the file click Open and choose an icon, or navigate to a different DLL. After settling on an icon click apply and OK your way out as usual. Of course, you can create your own icon, or find one on the web as well.

One last item. To put the start button on the bottom left where it belongs, right-click the icon and click Pin to Tasklbar, then drag it all the way to the left end of the Taskbar.

Voila! A fully functional Start button. Unfortunately I havenít yet found or read of any CLSID or registry entry that will boot directly to the desktop.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anabaptiston For This Useful Post:

Medico (2013-05-23),pseudoid (2013-06-20),ruirib (2013-05-23)

Thanks
    Very nice. Is this as customizable as Start8 or StartIsBack or Classic Shell?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It doesn't appear to have the ability to disable the hot spots. Does clicking on the start button and then using search find desktop, modern ui apps, control apps, and files like the Classic Shell does? Its a nice find but I think I'll stick with Classic Shell.

Jerry

Thanks
    Yes, the 3 biggies are very customizable and suite my needs very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well ... why don't you just use "windows key"+"Q" ? it has the same effect .

an interesting link keyboard-shortcuts

Thanks
    Wee-bit off-topic post:
    I am wondering when/if the upcoming Win8 update provides for the re-introduction of a StartMenu (a la previous WinOS; whether it will be smart enough to notify/dialog the user that any current makeshift StartMenu (e.g. StartIsBack) that is installed should be FIRST uninstalled.
    One can only hope.

Thanks
    We also have an extensive list of keyboard shortcuts in one of our Sticky Threads.

I believe the Start Menu that is brought back with 8.1 might just add a button that sends a user to the Start Screen.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hi Medico,
    That is what the Win+Q command does on the keyboard but that is NOT the old, trusted and the original WinOS StartMenu (merely a shortcut to the Win8 StartScreen which shows all of the installed programs [in a haphazard way]).
    I just hope I am not being confused about your post reply.

Thanks
    What I meant was that from what I have read, MS is not bringing back the old Start Menu, but a button that takes you to the Start Screen. Win + Q actually takes you to the All Apps screen with the search bar showing, not the Start Screen.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Medico is right, and the article's author is wrong. There will NEVER be a return to the Start Menu in Windows 8. So says Microsoft. But there may be an option to boot straight to the Legacy Desktop in Win 8.1.

And while it does give back the look of a start Button, this CLSID shortcut is in fact the Win-Q combination, and nothing more.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-06-22 at 02:37.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    3 Things:
    1) Back in the Windows7 days, I finally had decided that the TaskBar really belonged on the left side of the screen (vertical) and not on the bottom of the screen (horizontal). At the time, my rationale was that since there is much more left-to-right landscape on the screen (and limited height top-to-bottom), it was more appropriate [IMHO] that I make more use of the screen for reading and scrolling things. For added aesthetics, I also had set the TaskBar, for AutoHide. It had taken me most of a week to get used to this configuration of the desktop but I was hooked permanently. When Windows8 was introduced last year, I was terrified that this feature would fall through the cracks and disappear permanently. That was one of the very first customizations I HAD to try upon install of Win8. I was so relieved to discover that both of these features (i.e. TaskBar relocate and AutoHide) were retained in Win8. I just hope that they don't mess these up in Win8.1
    2)Aesthetically speaking [IMHO], the RecycleBin should ONLY belong on the lower right bottom corner of the screen. That was the second customization I had to learn how to fix again in Win8. I mean why would MicroSoft want to locate it at the left top of the screen? I wonder if the programmers hang their garbage cans in their workplace/home high on the walls? All that investment in user GUI and they still put the RecycleBin in the wrong place. Funny that!
    3)One of the original customizations I HAD to do with Win8 was to also figure out how to boot to the DeskTop; rather than to the Modern (Metro?) UI. I use a program called WallPaperMaster which switches my desktop background to a new image at each boot. I have over 10GB of high quality images that are displayed randomly and it is always refreshing surprise and cool anticipation as to which image is going to pop up. I am quite bored with that Modern(Metro?) UI and even if Win8.1 does not allow automatically being able to boot to the desktop, it really is no big deal since a single press of the Win key can do the switch upon boot-up.
    I think these types of features are what I truly love about the Windows environment (vis-a-vis Apple interface) and I just hope such flexibility is never-ever taken away from the user experience, else I will definitely jump ship and go the OpenSource environment. But maybe I am preaching the choir here, as most certainly MicroSoft peeps have better things to do than read this post (and probably even you too) ...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    People who want a Start Button are not looking for a short cut to the Metro UI Search function, they are looking for a Start Menu.

Microsoft did some kind of "phone home" information collection of how Windows users used their computers and they tell us that most users never used the Start Button. I didn't really believe that they "never" used the Start Button, I thought it was probably more like "hardly ever", but now I'm convinced that most users not only never used the Start Menu, but that they didn't know what it was or what you could do with it.

Maybe that's not really true, it has been suggested that people who were more likely to use the Start Menu, were also the same people who were more likely to turn off the phone home usage reporting. In any case Microsoft seemed to believe it.

A button that gives the user a short cut to the Metro UI search screen is not a Start Button. To be a Start Button, it has to bring up a Windows XP/Vista/7 type of menu. Anything else is tap dancing.

Thanks
    Yeah, 2StarLounger,
    Similarly, I also
    ...did some kind of "..." information collection of how Windows users used their computer.
    My findings were alarming >> The noobie Win8 users (who auto boot-up to the Modern (Metro?) UI) don't even know how to get into the classic desktop and even if they did; they don't even understand what it supposed to do!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    Yeah, 2StarLounger,
    Similarly, I also My findings were alarming >> The noobie Win8 users (who auto boot-up to the Modern (Metro?) UI) don't even know how to get into the classic desktop and even if they did; they don't even understand what it supposed to do!
    It's worse than that. Most experienced Windows users also don't use and don't want to use,the Modern UI. (Reference) But I think the worst case is a Newbie going to a Windows RT Tablet's "Legacy Desktop" and trying to download and install a x86 freeware program. Instant return to the store! Where they find there's a 20 percent "Restock Fee" on any returned RT tablet.
    -- Bob Primak --