New Lounger
    Thanks

Hotmail/Live/Outlook Spam filter

I upgraded to the new Outlook for use with my live.com account (but this also applies to all hotmail accounts as well). When I did this I started to notice that mail was not showing up in my Inbox, including Windows Secrets Newsletter. I went to the Junk folder and sure enough the missing mail was in there. I selected the Windows Secret newsletter and marked it as" Not Junk". It moved the newsletter into my inbox and made an entry in the whitelist. Unfortunately the next time the newsletter arrived it again ended up in Junkmail. I took the same steps again with the same results. I decided at this point that I would just turn the spam filtering off, but to my surprise there seems to be no way of doing that.

I also send out regular emails to over 1200 people many of whom use Hotmail related accounts. I have mentioned the new behaviour to some of them and when I do they almost always find incorrectly identified spam. I realize that spam filters are useful, but not if I have to check my junk mail every day for good e-mail.

Any suggestions. And by the way "Check your Junkmail folder"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Are you using Outlook.com or the Outlook desktop program?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you add to safe mailing list or safe sender list?

If you added to safe sender list, did you add specific email address or the email domain?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had it in the safe sender list, but just as the e-mail address it came from, not the domain name. I have added the domain name now, but have no way to test it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Go to the subscription preferences page, https://windowssecrets.com/subscription-preferences/. Be sure you are logged in to your newsletter account. On that page is a link to resend the newsletter.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That seems to have fixed it. Now any solution for the overprotective spam system. A friend of mine missed a wedding invitation because it was classified as spam. I normally never read mail on the website, but in my e-mail client. Surely you should be able to turn off spam filtering if you are not using it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, these days many email providers filter email before they deliver it to you and do not let you turn this off.

Joe

Thanks
    Hi scuddy,
    I recommend using Windows Live Mail as in part 1 Mail Tips.pdf
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi scuddy,
    I recommend using Windows Live Mail as in part 1 Mail Tips.pdf
    Using WLM has no bearing on whether or not spam is filtered by the email provider which in this case is Outlook.com. If the email provider does email classification and filtering it is done before the client gets it regardless of the client.

Joe

Thanks
    Ji Joe,

I misread the post. Maybe scuddy did not have the senders of the mail classed as junk added to the contacts or safe senders list.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I noticed the same issue as scuddy with my hotmail acct perhaps a year ago. Regardless of how you add a sender to hotmail's "Safe senders" list or the "Safe mailing lists" list--whether by specifying a full address or just the domain--the lists are simply ignored. Mail from my bank and credit cards (the "your statement is ready" variety) frequently ends up in junk mail. What's odd is that it's inconsistent--sometimes it's shunted to junk mail, sometimes not.

I never found a solution or a hotmail setting that seemed to make any difference. I had faintly hoped the "Safe senders" list might work better with the migration to outlook.com, but sadly, no. The only resolution is to periodically check your junk folder. Fortunately in my case, hotmail is not my main acct so I can get away with checking the junk folder once every couple weeks.

Strangely, I have never had any trouble getting the Windows Secrets newsletter in my hotmail acct, though scuddy reports his got shunted to his junk folder. Just another part of outlook.com's flakiness, I guess.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    Fortunately in my case, hotmail is not my main acct so I can get away with checking the junk folder once every couple weeks.
    You need to cut that down to every 10 days as after that anything in your junkmail folder is deleted.

I also just realized how ironic it is that we are discussing outlook.com in the Non-Outlook E-mail discussion group. How stupid is this naming scheme?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scuddy View Post
    You need to cut that down to every 10 days as after that anything in your junkmail folder is deleted.
    Hmm, didn't realize that. I thought it was 30 days. Maybe that's why I rarely see legit mail in junk mail, if whatever might have been legit got purged before I got around to looking!