Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Outlook with POP & IMAP

Hey Y'all,

Just thought I'd pass along what I discovered today.

I've had my Outlook.pst file stored in a non-standard location since Outlook 2003. I do this because when I take off in my RV I move my entire, well almost, Documents folder, which has also been moved to another drive, to the laptop and I'm ready to go no muss no fuss. What I happened to notice the other day was that the IMAP email account I have was storing its .pst file in C:\Users\[userid]\.... the standard Outlook location.

So wanting to make things all Burger King I attempted to move the file to the G:\Outlook folder with my other .pst file. No go at least not using the method I've always used right in Outlook. when you try it and select the IMAP.pst file the button to make the change disappears.

So a googling I went. Yeah, I'd love to claim super guru status but no such luck I had to look it up. Seems that the only way to get this easily accomplished was via a registry edit. Here are the steps:

1. Start the Registry editor {regedit.exe}
    2. Navigate to: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook.
    3. Right-Click on Outlook in the left hand pane.
    4. Click on New
    5. Select String Value
    6. Type: ForcePSTPath {enter}
    7. The key should be highlighted in the right-hand pane just press {enter]
    8. For the value type the drive\path where you want the IMAP .pst files to reside {enter}
    9. Exit regedit.
    10. Log out and back in again.
    11. Start Outlook
    12. Select the File tab
    13. Click Account Settings
    14. Click Account Settings dropdown.
    15. If the IMAP account already exists you have to delete it and recreate it to get the file to move to the new location and there is no way to save your existing emails!
    16. If the IMAP account doesn't already exist just create it as you normally would any other email account and the file will nicely appear where you told it to.

HTH

P.S. Here's the article which provided this information.

Update: Actually it looks like you can save your data if the account already exists here's how.
    Copy the existing file to another location or device.
    Then perform the steps above.
    Copy the file back.
    Of course you have to do the copying while Outlook is CLOSED!
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-05-23 at 17:45.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG,
    I know this won't work for your previously saved .pst files, but if you forwarded your mail to Gmail, it could be accessed from any where at any time, and you would never lose anything unless you deleted them.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I've always kept Outlook where I wanted it to be, too. I didn't go into the registry (unusual for me, I admit) to move a pst file. I created an account with all the correct settings, closed Outlook, copied my existing pst file to the location, reopened Outlook, went back to account settings, highlighted the newly created account and clicked the "Move folder" button at the bottom. Switched to the "real" folder, closed Outlook again, deleted the "temp" created folder, and the next time I opened Outlook, it opened my old account that I had moved.

All this came about through setting up my Windows 7 Outlook accounts in Windows 8. Although I have a Gmail account, I only use it for logon purposes. My ISP offers unlimited email storage and I can access my email from any location, any machine. My email from my web site host also has unlimited email, and I can also access it from any location, any machine.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Type: ForcePSTPath {enter}
    That's all I need to know -- "ForcePSTPath". This will solve a major headache of mine, which as you know resurfaces EVERY TIME I REINSTALL OUTLOOK.

Actually, I've switched to Thunderbird. But if I ever switch back to Outlook, or if a friend ever needs help with Outlook, I'll know what to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Bruce,

That's also the way I used to do it with POP accounts but the option was unavailable with the IMAP account. Have you done IMAP accounts with this method? Or maybe it is because I have Outlook doing both POP and IMAP at once?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG,

I must confess I haven't tried it with IMAP accounts. At present I'm only dealing with POP.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows