New Lounger
    Thanks

Syncing Computers on a Wireless Network

I have two desktop computers, an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-170t and an eMachines T3020, as well as an HP Pavilion g4-1229dx notebook, all running Windows 7 and all on a wireless network in my home. I’d like to be able to synchronize the data on all three, but I don’t know how to do that. My network is connected to the Internet by DSL. Does anyone have any advice for me?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Are you willing to go with paid products, or do you just want to use free ones?

The very best I know is Cubby, a paid one. It will sync all the data you want, reliably, respecting your folder organization, allowing to selectively sync stuff to one computer but not the other and offering cloud back as an additional benefit.

Free options would be the usual candidates - SkyDrive and similar. They will be free up to point, though, since if you want to sync all data, you will have to pay for extra storage.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I'd recommend Microsoft's SyncToy or RoboCopy both will do the job nicely and let you select what you want to sync and both are FREE! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I'm a long-time user of Dropbox. I've tried most of the others. Dropbox is simple, fast, child-prood and syncs automatically between Windows and Android devices (and more). Has never slowed down anything else I'm doing. Best of all, the files are also available in the cloud, with a few old versions of changed files - very nice when you need it. The free version is not enough to save years of photos but perfect for normal needs. All you do after installation which creates a "Dropbox" folder, is to drag files or folders into it. Sync starts. (There's a free program that allows creation of sym-links. The files are IN Dropbox folder but it sets up sym-linked files in the original location so you don't need to change all your shortcuts etc. Backup first and use at your own risk!)
    If you use my link we both get extra cloud storage of 500mb - http://www.dropbox.com/link/21.Er6I_-p2ka