New Lounger
    Thanks

Protect or Lock Styles Word 2010 template

I'm setting up templates for our office. These have styles we use for our reports which should never be changed.
    Is there any way in Word to lock them so they can't be changed, without disabling all formatting?

I am more concerned about accidental changes than deliberate, in particular pasting text in from other documents often seems to result in style changes.

I have found the "limit formatting to permitted styles" option, and this is almost perfect except that it disables all manual formatting. I could almost live with that except it seems to cause a loss of all ability to shade table cells, you can't save it in a style, and the manual formatting is disabled.

It seems like a really basic thing to do that should be easy, but I can't find anything on the internet with a good solution.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You should be able to address the manual character formatting issues via an appropriate set of character Styles. The overriding of paragraph Styles with manual formatting is, of course, what the restrictions are designed to prevent. As for the cell shading, you could set up a macro 9available on the QAT, for example) that allows the user to select one of a pre-defined sets of shading and applies that to the selected cells. The macro would toggle the protection off/on to do the shading.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Overriding paragraph styles I don't mind, it is changing the template styles I want to prevent.
    Just telling people to turn the protection off when they need to do something prohibited may be OK, but it would be nice if there was a way to lock the styles without locking everything else.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    If all you want to do is to ensure the Styles you provide aren't messed with, simply check the 'automatically update document styles' option, under Developer>Document template>Templates. Do note that this won't stop them importing content in other Styles, though.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]