Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Download File Extension Problem in Internet Explorer

    Searched but can't find anything on this.

    Recently bought a laptop with Win 7 64-bit. During setup ran Windows Update multiple times which installed IE10. Then noticed that every time I tried to download or install an .exe or other file from a website, when running or saving the file the ".exe" or extension had been changed to "-exe" In other words, the "period" in front of the file extension had been replaced by a "hypen." Cannot manually change this when performing SAVE AS. The files won't download or run.

    Rolled back to IE9 - same problem

    Installed Chrome which downloads these files correctly with no hypen.

    All file & folder settings mimic my PC which function normally.

    ANy help is appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,201
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 564 Times in 504 Posts
    Do you get an error?

    Does it go through the motions and then the file isn't there?

    To which folder are you trying to save the download? Are you sure you have write permissions for the folder?

    Joe

  4. #3
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    No error. These are the typical programs you load whenever setting up a computer - Adobe reader, MSE, other applications. Some install with RUN and others suggest you download the file then open it so it installs. Here are some examples:

    RUN a program for install - nothing happens - won't download or run

    SAVE AS - explorer opens and allows me to remove the hyphen and fix the extension but then it won't save or download and reverts to the hyphen

    I found a similar question from someone else on Microsoft support site but it was never answered.

  5. #4
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I realize I didn't actually answer your questions:

    No error - just won't download - it sits there. No hanging, just doesn't do anything

    It does not go through the motions although sometimes the download starts then stops but no error

    Desktop or a downloads folder - doesn't matter where i try to save it. Even if I click RUN instead of SAVE the won't run I assume becuase it doesn't recognise the extension which looks like application -exe instead of application.exe. It happens with any extension - always a hypen replacing the period. If I remove the hyphen and replace it with the period when doing the SAVE AS, it automatically replaced the period with a hypen as soon as i click OK or whatever the action is.

    Yes, i'm the administrator. ALso, works normally with Chrome which is why it seems to be an IE problem

    Thanks.

  6. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,201
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 564 Times in 504 Posts
    Have you checked to see if downloads are disabled in IE - Tools | Internet Options | Security? Then each zone has its own download setting which you can see by clicking on "Custom Level". You could also go back to default settings by using the "Reset all levels..." button.

    Joe

  7. #6
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Someone answered on the Microsoft forum. i feel like an idiot not seeing this setting - i walked right by it. Here is the solution:

    Go to Internet Options and then click on the Security tab. Under 'Security level for this zone' there is a check-box with 'Enable Protected Mode' next to it. That box needs to be clear (un-checked). When I found the suggestion and went to that tab, I was surprised to see that the box was checked. Once I unchecked it and restarted windows, the problem was gone and I could open downloaded docs again. Hope it works for you, too. Good Luck!

    Thanks to all who replied!

  8. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,201
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 564 Times in 504 Posts
    I run with protected mode enabled for the Internet zone all the time and have no trouble downloading anything I want.

    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •