4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Startup Folder Item Won't Start With Windows

Hi, all. In Windows 7 64-bit I dragged a shortcut for a program into the Startup Folder as instructed by Windows Help & Support. The problem is .... it doesn't start. The program is a utility called Speedfan. We want it to launch/open when we boot up in the morning so that Speedfan will boost the speed of the cpu fan and two case fans. If we launch the program manually after bootup it works fine, controlling the fans and keeping all temperatures nice and cool without over-revving the fans. Is there a way to get this to start with Windows without having to totally disable User Account Control or whatever it's called ?
    The Intel motherboard's fan controls run all fans at minimum 30% of max. speed which is nearly silent but doesn't provide very good cooling. With Speedfan we set the minimum at 50% which is still fairly quiet and reduces temps. by 5 or 6 degrees C.
    Any suggestions on how to make Speedfan start when Windows starts? The program itself doesn't seem to include a start-with-Windows option.
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2013-05-24 at 21:22. Reason: Additional information

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Marvin,

If I remember correctly, Speedfan has an option in its configuration menus to auto start.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Marvin,

Well, looks like I didn't remember correctly.

The reason it won't start is that it takes Admin Privileges!

You can use the Task scheduler to start it on logon by setting the trigger to Events, Winlogon, 7001.
    Don't forget to check the Run with highest privlidges on the General tab. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, will check it out. Shoulda thought of Task Scheduler myself ! Will report back with results ....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Used Task Scheduler as suggested and it works. On cold boot this morning Windows 7 loaded Speedfan with the desired 50% minimum fan speeds, and cpu core temperatures are 22 C. and 26 C. Without Speedfan, our Intel DG33FB motherboard had the cpu fan and both case fans running at 30% minimum which, although nearly silent, resulted in cpu idle temperatures of 34 C. to 38 C.
    In a workstation PC designed around Intel's quiet-cooling ideas, the case fans' maximum speeds would be anywhere from 2200rpm to 3000rpm. However, our home-built PC has aftermarket 120mm intake and exhaust fans whose top speed is only 1200rpm or so. Allowing them to run at 30% of that top speed most of the time does not create much airflow through the case, thus causing heat buildup. At least, that's my theory, and it seems to be borne out by the cooler temps. now achieved.
    Also, the fans remain fairly quiet so that you hardly notice they are on. Thanks again, you guys !