Thanks

Outlook is out of action

Hi,

Just when I thought that I had my share of computer problems, along comes another, but this time of my own making.

I was re-organizing my files and folders the day before yesterday when I inadvertantly moved my Outlook folder from Documents to another location. I didn't realize that something was wrong until I tried to send an email. It was then that the Outlook program said something like that it couldn't access its data file. Okay, I soon realized the reason for that. When I located and put the folder back into Documents, I thought that all would be well. Wrong!

I then got a similar message again from Outlook about it not being able to access its file. I yelled at the computer, calling it every foul name under the sun. When I cooled off, I had a quick look at the Net for a solution. Not one solution seemed adequate. What was worse, I was informed that the mere act of moving a pst data file corrupts it. Oh great! I'm now stuck with a dysfunctional Outlook program that cannot send or receive mail.

Can anybody help here?

Thanks for your time.
    The key to wisdom is knowing all the right questions.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636

Take a look at the how to point Outlook to your personal folders file section. When you moved the pst file, Outlook probably created a new one in the original location and abandoned the one you want it to be looking at so all you should have to do is tell Outlook where to look for the proper pst file again.

Thanks
    I did try to "repoint" which resulted in erroneous files overwriting the old pst data files. In other words, I made an even bigger mess while I attempted a repair. What I need is new pst data files.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In that case...do you have a recent backup that includes the pst file? There are some recovery tools for corrupt psts, I recently heard about one on the Mike Tech Show podcast but I'm not sure how effective any of those would be in this case. I'll try and look it up and get back if no one else has a solution.

The link: http://www.systoolsgroup.com/outlook-recovery.html

I think he was using it to recover a pst that was way too big for its own good (like 20 gigs) so I don't know how it would work in this situation.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-05-25 at 09:29.

Thanks
    I don't have any backed up pst files. I'm in the process of transferring all of my collected emails into a folder separate from the Outlook program, just in case. I can always return them when this problem has been resolved.

John A. Simone, Sr.