Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Video is a black square in IE 10

At some point, after working perfectly for at least a year, whenever I click on a story with video on a newspaper site, the result is a black box with all the controls, sometimes with and sometimes without sound. When I copy the same link into Firefox or Chrome, the video plays perfectly.
    Advice please, anyone - I have explored Explorer, but am beaten.

I believe the anomaly started with the upgrade to IE version 10 - I have tried uninstalling and going back to IE 9, but the problem persists,
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you
    Brian

I have an HP Pavilion DM4 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and Internet Explorer 10.0.092 .....
    The graphics card is a Radeon HD7470M

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Check Tools/Active X filtering and if it is checked then un-check it.

Usually if it is checked you will see in the address bar a blue circle which you can click on for the particular site to allow the video..

I always have active X filtering on in the tools menu and use the little blue circle to allow videos on sites I trust.

I hope this helps.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Banyrola. The ActiveX was not checked, but I have upgraded the Flash Player to the latest version 11 so now I get video on the BBC site, but still not the Sydney Morning Herald (www.smh.com.au) site. There I get a White box (!) instead of a Black one :-).
    I have tried checking the ActiveX but must confess I do not see the circle you refer to. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.
    Thank you for the response.
    Brian

Thanks
    The circle will be in your address bar near the refresh button.

When Active X is checked in the tools menu the blue circle will only appear if there is an active X trying to run on the site you are on...Like a flash video etc.

This way you can then click on the blue circle and it will give you the option to turn off Active X filtering for that site only..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"