Thread: Tracking E-mail

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking E-mail

I noticed a thread about tracking e-mail, but it is trying to stop tracking. What I need is a solution to ensure the people I send e-mail to are actually receiving it. With today's cost of mailing it is much more cost effective to e-mail, but it is becoming increasingly unreliable. There are ways for the most part, of ensuring the e-mail gets through, by adding a domain to a whitelist, but I still need to know if people are receiving it in the first place.

So my question is: Is there a way to track an e-mail, (and no I don't mean read receipts or reading confirmations.) I could just send out an e-mail and ask everyone to reply and then match the replies to the list sent out, but there are 1300 addresses and it would be a lot of work. What would be nice was a program that matched them automatically. Any suggestions.

I hear this is the place to go for solutions so I'm sure there are.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to add this is a legitimate e-mail list, not spam. These are members of our association and I would expect them to reply if requested to. I just don't want to have to match all 1300 replies to the 1300 sent out.

Thanks
    The only way to make absolutely sure that it is received, is for you to personally hand it to them. Even then, the receiver may still refuse to read it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First thing you have to realize is that no one can force recipients of your group messages to open them. They will receive your newsletter(?), and just not open it and you can't do anything about it.

You can require Read Receipts from everyone, but it will make you unpopular in a hurry, they have to be Ok'ed before they're sent. Try it yourself - send yourself a message with a Read Receipt attached. You can't read the message unless you say it's ok to send the RR, and even then you can decide not to read it. Most people click through NOT to send the RR, whether or not they read the message.

I also send to a group with about 1800 addresses - you may want to look at a different way of handling it. I use Thunderbird - and have since before it was called Thunderbird - and used it for maybe two years for my group. I spent way to much time keeping the list straight and looking for easier alternatives. Then I found 'MailChimp'. It is an on-line service (similar to Constant Contact), that helps you design and distribute email newsletters and track your results. It can also post them on Facebook, Twitter and others.

You can actually see who opened your club newsletters and when, where (in the world) they opened it, and who clicked on what links. It maintains your mailing list, taking care of bounces, subscriptions and unsubscriptions. It has all requirements for sending so your messages won't be marked as spam. It can personally address every recipient by name in the message (Dear Scuddy,). It will also have a link where one can go, maybe from your group web page, to sign up for the list. It allows you to store up to 2,000 subscribers & send up to 12,000 emails per month for free. Beyond that the prices are reasonable. See http://www.mailchimp.com

It has a bit of a learning curve, but also has good help - and if you really get stuck, tons of videos on youtube.

btw, standard disclaimer: I do not work for MailChimp, blah, blah, blah, and will not profit from recommending them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Email is not a guaranteed delivery system and there is no way to track mail unless you also own the receiving server. The best solution we have is Non Delivery Report and that is controlled by the admin of the receiving server and is often turned off.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul is exactly right, email is not a guaranteed delivery system and yes email server admins sometimes turn off NDR notification which is against RFC standards but its done anyway.

If you want to some indication there is intelligence whether it be human or AI on the other end you could setup a web analytics click link in the email.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    We hate embedded/spy links and any email program worth it's salt will disable them.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Yes those exist and I don't like them either. I was more so aiming at the "click me if you've received this style link to confirm there is someone on the other end and they agree they still wish to receive mail from the entity. Analytics are an important aspect of any business and as stated by the OP it is a legitimate mailing list

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The most important aspect of any mailing list is the "opt out" button. It must work first time every time, or they will ring you up and abuse you for spamming them - been there, done that.

cheers, Paul