New Lounger
    Thanks

No Sound-Windows 8 Creative Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD

Just when everything seems fine, ie: the sound is working fine, it just cuts out. When I move the volume slider to test it, it looks like there should be sound as I can see the green indicator blinking on, but just no sound to the speakers. I've tried reinstalling the Creative software for the sound card and upon reboot, I will have sound for maybe an hour or two then it stops. I've tried Windows find and fix "Playing Audio" routine and it detects no issues. When I look under the device "Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi) Properties it says the device is working properly. At one point I wondered if Winamp was somehow interfering, so I uninstalled that....same problem. This has been happening off and on for the month I've been using Windows 8. It was a fresh install on a new hard drive.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Tim

Thanks
    How old is the sound card? When did you last clean inside the PC case? Have you checked to see that the sound card is firmly seated? Heat may be an issue.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's about a year old. I cleaned the inside when I installed the new hard drive a month ago. I will check to see if it is firmly seated. While I cannot definitely rule out a heat issue, I'm using a big Cooler Master tower, with it's three big fans.
    A few minutes ago I did a hard reboot and the sound is now back on.

Thanks
    Remove the card and reseat it firmly. It wouldn't hurt to wipe down the contacts with a clean soft cloth, either. That has been the phantom cure for many a problem when it comes to add-in cards.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok thanks bbearren! I will give that a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, everything is confirmed clean and firmly seated. Again, the sound was fine for two hours, the just went silent. I'm using Reaper and have it set up to use the Creative ASIO driver. It did the same thing yesterday so I did a hard reboot and it was fine again. I've written Creative and get the usual "install the latest software",which I've done. This same setup worked fine on windows 7 so I guess I'm wondering if it is a native windows problem, sound card problem or some combination. Again, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Have you run sfc /scannow?

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just ran it and it reported: Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations