Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis, imaging, and partition questions

Hello. I have this W-7 machine on which I tried to do an image, this is against my grain as I always did clones. On this file backup, Acronis created, I think, a small partition in front of the HD. There is nothing in it, 3665 MBs and all of it is free space. What is the use of this partition ?

I would like to use that space small as it is. I have Gparted and also looked at Disk Management. I was once advised that moving the C:/ into the empty space would crunge the boot sector. I have not experimented in anyway yet !

If I were to use use Restore in Acronis, to only restore the C:/, would it boot ? Is this possible ?

Be assured that I did not create this front partition. Computors are magic ! JP.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi JP,
    Can you post an image of 'Disk Management' Make an Image and Post it.pdf
    I make a folder on my external hdd named as the date i.e. May 26. I then do a 'One Click' back-up with Acronis to that folder, a 'Systemback-up' is created including the MBR.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    I have never seen Acronis create any partition such as this. I have created Images both from within Windows and booting to the restore disk and create an Image from there (my preferred method) and never have seen this.

Here's what I would do. Start Acronis and Create the bootable media, then boot to this and create your Image. Store it to an Ext. device, done!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. I have this W-7 machine on which I tried to do an image, this is against my grain as I always did clones. On this file backup, Acronis created, I think, a small partition in front of the HD. There is nothing in it, 3665 MBs and all of it is free space. What is the use of this partition ?
    JP,
    Hello... I also use Acronis (2010) and have done hundreds of Images .. It never created any partitions on any of my HD's . Your post mentions that you "Imaged " your OS ...then you say you did a "File" Backup... Which one are you trying to do?

1. The space was created (most likely) when you installed 7.. Acronis will also do this if you let Acronis "Set up " a new HD.

2. I would Image the OS and use the recovery disk to restore it to the HD, after resizing the partition ( either boot time tool "G Parted' or other like EASUS partition master. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted & RR, you two are very nice persons. Thanks for at least, so far, reading me. Here is the PrnScrn:

Disk.jpg

The bottom one, Ted, is a clone of the machine on a 160 GBs USB device, a clone. I also did an image and as I have not dabbled with images at all, I wonder if I could restore just the main partition ? I did he image and have not even had a look at it, it is on a RAID device in 0 mode. I would appreciate getting definite terminology as to image and clone as far as backup is concerned. Not the same kettle of fish. They are both "backup" procedures but very different.

RR, doing a clone, the MBR is also saved. You say that you do a BU but which one ?

Ted, I have never seen this extra partition thrown at me before, either. It really surprised me, I always verify, visually, a clone after the fact, I place both the source and the destination side-by-side on my screen to make sure that at least, they look alike. As per these lines, Ted, you know that I do have this bootable CD, I used it and made both an image and a clone, both stored to external devices, different ones so I have both options to restore. Looking at the bottom device in my .jpg, you can see that the clone also did the extra partition. I do not think that from a clone I can pick any one partition, the whole or nothing.

My question from the image expert, was to learn if I could elect to only restore the C:/ HD ??? It would then boot ??? This is the question. I could try it and if it crunges my machine, I could use the clone and redo it so the options are open. A nice week end to you both. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Fred. As I was posting my brain-wave, yours came up.
    Your second.jpg has me guessing. Using it, can I just backup the C:/ ? I have not played with images at all, here is an occasion to learn but I do not want to loose the machine, ie: the bootable stuff, MBR and such. As it is, it is disregarding this small partition and runs fine.
    Thanks for your time. Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Fred. As I was posting my brain-wave, yours came up.
    Your second.jpg has me guessing. Using it, can I just backup the C:/ ? I have not played with images at all, here is an occasion to learn but I do not want to loose the machine, ie: the bootable stuff, MBR and such. As it is, it is disregarding this small partition and runs fine.
    Thanks for your time. Jean.
    JP,
    Hello... Yes you can Image just the C: ... Don't know whats on that small partition ..as i said it was most likely created during the 7 install ( not Acronis) . As long as you have a "Repair Disk (MS type) " and a "Recovery Disk Acronis type"and a "Image of C:" ... your good to go ...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I have all this. I just want this to be a "one-step" recovery and not have to reinstall W-7 all over again. Thanks. Jean.

Thanks
    Hi JP,
    Your image is as it should be.
    In my image, click the link below Archive location to set your location.
    Click the link below Schedule to set it.
    All my back-ups & restores are done within Windows. i.e. not using the Recovery disk.

RR1.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I have all this. I just want this to be a "one-step" recovery and not have to reinstall W-7 all over again. Thanks. Jean.
    Jean,
    Hello....i just mentioned that it's best to have all those tools "at hand" ...in the event that there is something on that small partition that "hoses" your OS when you resize... When you create an Image ...that's it.... you can recover to it either from the Acronis Recovery Disk , The Acronis F-11 boot option, or from within Windows with re-boot. Have fun Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Jean, that's the whole idea of doing Backup Images of your C drive. So that if that hard drive goes up in a big ball of fire and smoke, you can slap in a new drive, do a restore of your backup image and be back on-line in less than half an hour and not loose anything.

But for all that to work as intended, your Backup/Restore program must NOT be on your C drive. It MUST be on some bootable media, like a CD or Flash Drive. Every decent Backup program will offer to make you a Restore CD. If not, then don't use it!
    Also, the backup image MUST not be saved anywhere on your main hard drive that also contains your C partition.

I have tried several different versions of Acronis True Image, even the FREE one from Seagate and found them all 'wanting'. It worked, but I just didn't feel comfortable with the GUI.

Just for the record, I've found, over many years, that having to resort to restoring an image of your C drive, that's more than a week old, involves the loss of just too much data. To offset that loss on my own PC, I do daily backups of all my data files, including doc's, pictures, saved email, my address book, etc. That daily backup is done with a simple DOS Batch File using XCOPY.
    I do that daily backup to TWO external locations. (a 32 gig Flash drive and a 1TB external Hard drive. Both are USB 3, so the backups go real fast)

It's not necessary, to back up the same data over and over again....when properly applied, XCOPY will back up only files that have just been added or files that have been changed. A daily backup typically only takes a few seconds.

Back on Topic:
    Yes, do Backup Images of C and save several generations on an external drive. Then if one should fail to restore, you have others you can resort to. A clone does not give you that option. I only use the Clone option when moving my OS to a larger or newer drive.... never for backup purposes.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Jean,

This article on the Windows System Reserved Partition should answer most of your questions. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2013-05-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, thanks. This really lit my candle. Now I know what it is all about, that helps. As this is very non-obstructive, I will live with it for now, until I have a second machine to cover my steps. This reserved partition is so much reserved that as the article mentions that it does place some data in it, it nevertheless says that it is empty. Ted, aka, Medico, I have lost hope in imaging a bit more, I tried it and from the RAID USB 500 GBs device, it says that the data is corrupted. Oh, well !
    Thanks to all, I have learned some new stuff.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try looking at the system reserved partition with Protected operating system files view enabled (unchecked)?

If you want to avoid any little reserved partition being used you need to format the drive with GParted perhaps or with another system first, and then not let Win 7 touch the partitioning or do any formatting at the time of install.

Thanks
    I tried it and from the RAID USB 500 GBs device
    Jean,

Now I'm totally confused? RAID & USB seem mutually exclusive to me. I've never tried to image a RAID device but I would think it would take software specifically designed to do it. Maybe someone else who has experience with RAID could chine in.

Update: Well I'll be a ... it looks like Acronis does support Hardware RAID but not Software RAID. See this Article.

Update 2: Looks like Macrium Reflect also supports RAID.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-05-26 at 12:15.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast