5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor takes 3minutes to start up

This has been irritating me for a couple of months or more. The monitor, a Dell E171FPb – or if that’s the serial number the model is a couple of Chinese characters - is of 2003 vintage. It suddenly began taking c 3 minutes to start up. Today I timed it with a stopwatch – 3minutes, 11 seconds from switching on the monitor until the Dell icon appeared.

It’s OK when first switching on the PC, having become accustomed to the wait, but later in the day is another matter. I now tend to leave it on most of the day, unless I know I shall be doing something else for an hour or more, but it often closes itself. When I switch it on again, wait some time without seeing any slight changes on the black screen, I begin to wonder whether it is switched on or off, so switch again, if nothing happens again and so on until it starts up. This is really frustrating.

This change in start up coincided with a change in the Dell logo. It now reads Dell Genesis, whereas previously it was just Dell, or maybe straight to Windows, but Genesis is new. The OS is XP SP3.

This could be due to an update gone wrong, malware, or perhaps I have inadvertently pressed one of the other buttons on the monitor. Any suggestions for getting back to normal welcomed.

George.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-05-26 at 11:04. Reason: spelling

New Lounger
    Thanks

More Info Please

[QUOTE=The monitor, a Dell E171FPb – or if that’s the serial number the model is a couple of Chinese characters - is of 2003 vintage.[/QUOTE]

georgelee,
    Googling E171FPb shows it is indeed model number.
    I would suggest first telling us the results of using this monitor on different computer. That is what I would do to decide if it was electrical problem in monitor or system or bios . Likewise try different monitor on same system.
    What bios is system running and when was it installed in relation to problem? Sounds like bios or inf file was changed.
    Suggest opening bios and turn off silent boot(splash) and opt for display of normal POST messages.
    This should give more accurate tale of what's going on.
    Also, what happens when you turn on monitor first, wait that 3+ minutes, then turn on computer?
    One last just maybe suggestion, change bios battery.
    Also FYI, take look at Dell forum post: http://en.community.dell.com/support.../20302257.aspx
    Monitors are cheap, and 21 inch led model would be much better bet than repairing 17 inch lcd. Even if it was only one weak capacitor.
    Ten years is max even best capacitors are rated, so with "2003 vintage" do the math. If one is bad, then what?
    gregorio2
    Last edited by gregorio2; 2013-05-27 at 17:18.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gregorio2 For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-05-29)

Thanks
    Go to the power settings on your computer. Tell it that you want the monitor always on. The default is to turn off the display after so many minutes of inactivity. This will at least keep it from having to warm up again and again.

I don't recall how to do this in XP, but I believe you get to that screen by right-clicking either on the bottom task bar or on an empty area of the desktop, and then choosing Properties.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Go to the power settings on your computer. Tell it that you want the monitor always on. The default is to turn off the display after so many minutes of inactivity. This will at least keep it from having to warm up again and again.
    Thanks for the reply Jim.

The Power setting were Never turn off monitor, hard disks or standby. Screen saver was at 40 minutes, which I have changed to 1200 minutes, although I don’t use a screen saver. We'll see if that makes a difference.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorio2 View Post
    georgelee,
    Suggest opening bios and turn off silent boot(splash) and opt for display of normal POST messages.
    This should give more accurate tale of what's going on.
    Gregorio2. Not sure how to do this, will investigate at next bootup.

Bios version Dell AO2 31/7/2003 SMBios version23

I hadn’t considered that the monitor might be nearing its end of life, probably because the TV was still working well in January when I replaced it with a new HD set, despite my wife’s arguments that it was still fine. The PC, monitor, TV, and much else were replaced autumn 2003, after we returned from holiday to discover that the house had been burgled and just about anything of value had been taken, apart from the CRT monitor.

I shall be replacing this PC within the next 6 – 9 months, but would prefer to avoid buying an extra monitor in the interim, if possible.

Following your suggestion, the monitor was switched on first this morning, the PC 3’24” later and it started up without undue delay. The first thing I noticed was that the Dell Genesis screen had reverted to the previous Dell start screen with the bios number and the note about F2 and F12. Only then did it strike me that it would not have been possible to boot into safe mode during the couple of months. I don’t know if this gives any useful information.

Is the bios battery the coin shaped battery on the motherboard? That has only been changed once, probably 5 or 6 years ago. I recall that it was necessary to buy a pack of two – would the second one be worth using after all this time, assuming I can find it.

Hopefully I will have time to try switching the monitors this evening, or more likely tomorrow.

Thanks
    Yes, more often than not the CMOS/BIOS backup battery is usually 'coin-shaped', roughly the size of a nickel. The model# is usually CR2032 and you can pick them at at your local grocery or drug store.

Thanks
    The standard Dell startup screen is what you ought to see, so you're making progress.

As soon as the Dell startup screen goes off, begin tapping the F8 key. You should see a menu with some Safe Mode options. You're probably right about not being able to go to Safe Mode in the past couple of months; the monitor wasn't "working" when that option was available.

You should be able to go to Walgreens and buy one battery rather than two. But if you have a multimeter, you might want to test the battery you have now, rather than just buy another one.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post

This could be due to an update gone wrong, malware, or perhaps I have inadvertently pressed one of the other buttons on the monitor. Any suggestions for getting back to normal welcomed.
    George ,
    Hello.... You can use this free program to measure the battery voltage HW Monitor 1.22

Also ,one other suggestion You might be able to use your TV as a monitor just to check ...If your OS and TV have a compatible cable, HDMI, VGA, etc. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-05-29 at 14:05.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Found

Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Following your suggestion, the monitor was switched on first this morning, the PC 324 later and it started up without undue delay.
    georgelee, I think you have found problem now. The slow start, by what you said, is in monitor and not system. It is functioning despite slow start,
    and while I mentioned capacitors that maybe weak they also might continue functioning for many more months.
    Put crossed fingers behind your back and try not to let slow start annoy, but I personally would continue starting monitor first, then computer, because computer looks to see what is connected when it starts. To help extend life, I would only turn monitor on&off twice a day.
    Good Fortune
    gregorio2
    Last edited by gregorio2; 2013-05-29 at 17:27.

Thanks
    George, It could be that the 2003 vintage monitor is going bad. I hate to say it but it might be time to look at replacements. Electronic devices do indeed have shelf lives and 10 years is quite a long time for a monitor's life cycle. If it's a daily use monitor, I would start looking now so when it dies all together you are ready.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gregorio2. When my wife’s monitor was connected to this XP machine it fired up in less than 10 seconds – this was from cold, the first time PC or monitor had been switched on this morning. When my monitor was connected to the other PC it took almost 3 minutes to start. Conclusion: the problem is the monitor itself, rather than the bios or anything else on the PC.

However, it was surprising than when the monitors were returned to their respective PCs this one started in 58 seconds – probably a flash in the pan.

Rather than buy a temporary monitor for less than a year’s use, I will put up with the aggravation for the time being. But first I'll try a new battery, even if unlikely to be the cause. I see that Fred has just given a link or testing the battery.

Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorio2 View Post
    To help extend life, I would only turn monitor on&off twice a day.
    Good Fortune
    gregorio2
    Thanks for the tip.