Oxfordshire, UK

MSE playing silly wotnots

My wife used her laptop last night and when she booted up, MSE said that Win7 was not genuine. After a bit of huffing and puffing by me (and getting an error on an MS page), it seemed to decide it was genuine after all. Wondering why this happened - I changed the battery a couple of days ago as the old one was getting tired (both MS and Linux said so!). Would this have generated the non-genuine message?

Silver Lounger
    More likely it's another good old permissions/security glitch.

Genuine Windows Validation Error with Microsoft Security Essentials
    This issue may occur if the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) engine does not have permission to access the data.dat file. In order to confirm this point and resolve the issue, let's refer to the following steps:

1. Log on to the computer using an Administrator user account

2. ClickStart and click My Computer

3. On theTools menu, click Folder Options

4. Click theView tab.

5. UnderHidden files and folders, check on Show hidden files and folders

6. Click to clear theHide extensions for known file types check box, and then clickOK

7. We will find the file nameddata.dat under the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data

8. Right-click thedata.dat file, and click Properties

9. Click theSecurity tab

Note: If the "Security" tab cannot be viewed, please refer to the information after Step 12.

10.Click Advanced

11.In theName tab, please check if Everyone is listed. If so, please click theExit button, and check on Full Control. IfEveryone is not listed, please click the Add button, enter the name Everyone (without the quotation marks), pressEnter from the keyboard, choose Full Control in the pop-up window, and clickOK.

12.Please clickOK to accept the changes

Note: You will need to restart your computer into Safe Mode to be able to view the Security Tab. To do this, repeatedly pressF8 after restarting your computer. Select Safe Mode and log into Windows with an Administrator account.