Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble posting to Google Groups

Considering what a great job Google does on so many of its products, Google Groups is... disappointing.

I belong to a number of Google Groups. Some of them work just fine. Several of them don't.

In the problematic groups, I receive messages from the groups. I can post messages to the group through the web interface. But I cannot post by sending email to the groupname@googlegroups.com address. The messages bounce with these suggestions:

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (groupname) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
    * The owner of the group may have removed this group.
    * You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
    * This group may not be open to posting.
    Since I can receive messages and post on the web interface, I know the group exists and allows me to post.
    Since responding to group emails (thus the address is guaranteed correct) fails, I'm sure I haven't misspelled the name.
    Since responding to group emails DOES work in other groups, I'm certain I'm not doing anything wrong there.
    (Although now that I think of it, I've only email-posted to one other group recently, and I'm a manager on that group. Hmm. But I'm pretty sure other group members in that group are posting via email.)

Google's help is useless and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact them to ask a question. Any ideas why email posting doesn't work in some groups??

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary, what you are seeing is a permissions issue I believe. I too own and manage a Google group and I know for sure that I can control how users view messages, e.g., by web interface or by email sent to them directly. I am not absolutely sure about posting but I think I can do the same thing there. Since you manage a group I suggest you look at the set up permissions available for a random member and see if you can see what might be happening to you on the other group. Probably the quickest fix would be to email the owner of the group that you are having problems with and just ask how he has your account configured.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cecebee, the only options I see are controlling whether you can post or not -- no distinguishing between "post from web" and "post from email." If I can post from the web, it seems like I ought to be able to post from email too.