4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendations for new laptop?

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop running XP Pro, SP3. The computer is several years old, and I rarely use it at home. However, I'm currently travelling overseas with this computer, and it weighs a ton!

When I get home, I plan to buy a new laptop that's light enough not to be oppressive when I carry it. I also want it to come with Windows 7 as the OS, and not to have a touch screen (I absolutely am not interested in running Windows 8, either now or in the future). I want it to have a reasonably sized hard drive (not an SSD), 250 GB or greater, and at least 6 GB of RAM. Also, if there's a brand that doesn't install crapware with the OS, that's a big plus. Price is not as important as having all the features I mentioned.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Les,

A little over a year ago I bought my wife a Dell XPS 14z with an i5 processor and 500Gb HD. She has been very happy with it. She uses it for going to libraries and historical societies to do genealogical research and just plugs in a screen, kbd, and mouse she she gets home. As for the crapware just download a copy of PC Decrapifier to take care of that. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, thanks for the reply.
    I'll take a look at that (or whatever Dell has replaced it with in the past year). I won't need a screen or keyboard, because it won't be used as a replacement for my fairly new desktop machine, but I always prefer to use a mouse instead of a touchpad, even when travelling. Also, Dell might not be offering Windows 7 anymore, which would rule their products out. Weight is the main reason for buying the new machine (my old one works just fine), so I'll have to look at that, too.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Go to Dell.com. click the "For Work" pull-down (at the top), click "Laptops ...", and select "Windows 7" in the left column. There are also many other options you can choose to refine your search.

Should be similar on Lenovo and HP. Selecting for Work or Enterprise should turn up many options that are running "Windows 7".

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, SpywarerDr, I'll do that. Already looked at dell, but only looked at "For Home" computers.

Thanks
    You're welcome. Good luck in your search.

Thanks
    Check out Lenovo, I got myself one of these about a year ago now.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have used both Sony Vaio and Dell Inspiron laptops successfully. I second RGs recommendation for PCDecrapifier as well.

If you decide to go with MS's latest offering, Win 8, look at the simple customizations shown here to set it up similar to Win 7, or Win XP for that matter, to make the transition easier.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I recommend you visit officedepot.com regularly. From time to time they drop the price substantially on one laptop. If you catch them at the right time, you can get a decent, brand-new laptop at a substantial savings.