Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Fred Langa's Non Destructive XP Reinstall Method

I tried to use Fred Langa's Non Destructive XP Reinstall method on my friend's laptop, but when I got to screen 10 I made the mistake of leaving the XPSP3 cd in the cd drive. Now when I boot the laptop it opens with the setup is restarting screen but asks for the XPSP3 cd to be inserted. If I do this will the repair install continue or will a fresh copy of XP be installed, and in the latter case is there anything I can do to get back to the repair process instead?

Urgent help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Just put the CD there and see what happens.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George, I did so and the installation process continued. It went through all the usual screens, including asking for the Windows Product key, which was accepted, but when the laptop rebooted (after I had reset the BIOS to boot from the hard disk, and with the cd removed) the Windows XP logo screen came up but it said "Please wait". I waited but it seemed to be stuck on that screen. I finally went to bed and 6 hours later the same screen was there. I rebooted and it seemed that a successful repair had been accomplished, because it asked for a password (there isn't one) and when I clicked ok the laptop seemed to start normally. However, the size of the desktop icons was too large for them all to fit in, so I changed the display to 1024x768, and then the desktop display refreshed itself several times and eventually all the taskbar icons disappeared. I then found that when I opened most windows they were cut in half, i.e. the scroll bar was missing. Apart from that WinPatrol popped up numerous alerts about the repair or remove function having been removed for various Microsoft updates, so many that I turned the alerts off.

I wanted to get to command prompt but the shortcut that was on the desktop was no longer there, because the desktop had also been cut off, i.e. the active area did not extend over the whole area. Apart from that the start button was no longer visible, and although I can get to it by hovering the mouse in the bottom left corner the start display is also foreshortened and the scroll button is missing.

I wanted to get to command prompt to try running sfc /scannow, but can't find a way to do so. Should I try rebooting in safe mode with command prompt from the F8 function?

Further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried rebooting again?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George, I finally solved most of the problems. I opened the ERUNT program, which creates an automatic registry backup every day, and has saved my bacon on Win 7 once or twice, and managed to open a backup dated 21 May. (I couldn't get to a later date because of the scrolling problem). I restored that backup and rebooted (eventually) and the laptop desktop was back to normal. All my friend's programs worked, so obviously using the XPSP3 cd did result in a repair install, and even the run app showed the items that were listed before on the drop down list.

I installed 140 Microsoft updates with only 2 apparent failures, namely KB2779562 and Windows Media Player 11. However, when I found that KB 2779562 referred to daylight saving time for 2012 I hid that update. Subsequently I was offered daylight saving time updates for 2011, 2010 and 2009,so I hid those and I am no longer nagged by Windows Update about them. As to WMP, Add or Remove Programs showed that, as I thought, WMP 11 was already installed, so that was a glitch in Windows Update.

The remaining problems are:

1.I tried to start the App Management service but was told that it could not be started because the specified module could not be found. Can you tell me how to sort this out please?

2. Whenever I boot or reboot the laptop it says operating system not found and the only way I can shut down and retry to boot is to use the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, and it takes as many as 5 attempts before the laptop finally boots properly. Can you give me any advice as to how to resolve this please?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi,

First, my name is not George, I don't know where you got that idea.

I haven't used XP for ages and, when I did, I don't remember having ever dealt with an App Management service. In Windows 7, that has to do deployment of software through User Group policies. If you do need that service I fear you will have to wait for someone else to help, as I don't know it.

As to the 2nd issue, I would probably used the xp recovery console to try to fix the mbr, as explained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321626
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-05-27)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the boot problem continues after software remedies, it may be a critical part of the boot sector is hard to read and/or subject to repeated corruption, which usually only gets worse (until it won't boot at all). Another symptom of this is the computer asking for the CD so you're 2 for 2 possibly on signs the drive is problematic.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, apologies for my mistake about your name. I got George from another thread (I can't remember which one) where several replies were posted, one being from you, and one reply started with "George..." and I thought it referred to you.

I will try the xp recovery console method to fix the mbr tomorrow, and will let you know how it goes.

F.U.N. downtown- I don't believe the drive is problematic, not only because it's a recently installed SSD but also because Hard Disk Sentinel Pro reports the drive status as perfect.

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem, Roy. My name is Rui, as I have it in my sig.

The fact that your disk is an SSD may be the cause for the boot issues. Does the SSD have the latest firmware? Is the computer configured per the SSD manufacturer's recommendations? Is this a new disk?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, my friend was having the Operating System not found problem before the previous mechanical hard drive was replaced recently by an SSD, so I think corruption of the mbr is more likely to be the cause of the problem. Do you agree?

As I said before, I will try the xp recovery console method tomorrow, and will let you know how it goes.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Rui, my friend was having the Operating System not found problem before the previous mechanical hard drive was replaced recently by an SSD, so I think corruption of the mbr is more likely to be the cause of the problem. Do you agree?

As I said before, I will try the xp recovery console method tomorrow, and will let you know how it goes.

Regards,
    Roy
    Yes, Roy, I agree that seems the most likely explanation. Let's hope that will be it.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it won't be because of a hard to read sector in that case, it'll either be ok or electrically challenged right from the get go. I finally had one go bad, it's recognized, can copy to it for a while but any reads causes it to malfunction and the firmware update cannot recognize the drive so I can't even try that. Hard drive monitoring and testing software is extremely limited where SSDs are concerned.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, I installed the xp recovery console and ran the fixmbr command, but I still get the operating system not found message, although now it's found with fewer retries. Do you have any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you try it more than once? I would.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried it twice, but it still took 2 restarts to get the laptop to boot. Any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast